- Turn off lights when you leave a room or when they aren't needed.
- Keep bulbs and lighting fixtures clean for maximum lighting.
- Install energy-efficient compact fluorescent lights. They give off less heat and use as much as 75% less energy than regular bulbs.
- Pull the plug on instant-on and remote controlled appliances (such as televisions and cable boxes or DVR's) when you don't plan to use them for a few days or more. They draw current even when switched off.
- Use task lighting directed at a specific area instead of overhead lighting or general lighting.
- Turn off unnecessary lights: Much of the energy used (about 90% in incandescent lights) is given off as heat.
- Keep windows clean to let in more natural lighting.
NH Office of Energy and Planning
Governor Hugh J. Gallen State Office Park
Johnson Hall, 3rd Floor | 107 Pleasant Street | Concord, NH 03301
(603) 271-2155 | fax: (603) 271-2615