NH Office of Energy and Planning
NH Office of Energy and Planning
Office of Energy and Planning - an official New Hampshire Government website
Smaller text size Reset text size Larger text size
skip navigation

Weatherization Assistance Program

The State of New Hampshire's Weatherization Assistance Program* is designed to reduce household energy use and costs in the homes of low-income persons throughout the state by installing energy efficiency improvements.

Notice of Public Hearing - March 9, 2015
Weatherization Assistance Program Annual Plan

The Office of Energy and Planning (OEP) will conduct a public hearing on the State’s Weatherization Assistance Program Annual Plan to be filed with the US Department of Energy (DOE). Upon approval by DOE, the Plan will be in effect from April 1, 2015, through March 31, 2016. Written comments may be sent to:

Office of Energy and Planning
107 Pleasant St.
Concord, NH 03301

Written comments may be submitted using any of the following:

  • Postal mail: Send to Kirk Stone, Weatherization Program Manager, NH Office of Energy and Planning, 107 Pleasant Street, Concord, NH 03301
  • Fax: Send to Kirk Stone at 603-271-2615
  • Email: Send to Kirk Stone at kirk.stone@nh.gov

Written comments must be received by OEP by the opening of the Public Hearing, which will be held on:

March 9, 2015, at 1:30 PM at the Office of Energy and Planning, 107 Pleasant St., 3rd Floor Conference Room, Concord, NH 03301

THIS LOCATION IS HANDICAP ACCESSIBLE. Copies of the proposed plan may be downloaded from links below or obtained by calling the Office of Energy and Planning, and will be available at the hearing. For more information contact OEP at (603) 271-2155. EOE


The overall goal of the Weatherization Program is to serve those low-income households that are most vulnerable to high-energy costs and who do not have the means of making cost-effective energy conservation improvements to their homes. (See the eligibility guidelines.)

OEP, whenever possible, collaborates with the electric and natural gas utilities' energy efficiency programs to enhance the weatherization services provided to low-income households in New Hampshire. See Energy Efficiency Rebates and Incentives for more information about the utility-sponsored programs - note that these programs are available to everyone, so they are a resource even if you are not eligible for WAP.

How to Apply

To apply for Weatherization Assistance, contact your local Community Action Agency (CAA) to set up an appointment or learn more about the application process.

Once an applicant is determined income eligible, the application is placed on the waiting list. An energy auditor will contact the applicant to schedule a time to perform a comprehensive home energy audit.

  • The audit includes diagnostic testing, which is performed by an OEP or Building Performance Institute (BPI)-certified energy auditor and will help determine if the building qualifies for weatherization.

If the building is determined as qualified, the energy auditor will then develop an energy audit report that will identify all cost effective energy saving improvements. From this list, qualified improvements will be installed based on order of highest savings.

  • Typical high priority measures include: attic air sealing, installing attic insulation, installing wall insulation (where none exists) and air sealing and/or insulation of basements and crawl spaces.

Other Resources

For more information on what weatherization is and how it reduces energy costs, see this page of Frequently Asked Questions as well as these links to outside resources.

Contact Us

Kirk Stone
Weatherization Assistance Program Manager
Telephone: (603) 271-6359
Fax: (603) 271-2615
Email: kirk.stone@nh.gov

* The Office of Energy and Planning (OEP) operates the Weatherization Program with grants from the US Department of Energy (DOE) and the US Department of Health and Human Services. OEP subcontracts with New Hampshire's Community Action Agencies (CAAs), which are responsible for operating and delivering weatherization services at the local level.

NH Office of Energy and Planning
Governor Hugh J. Gallen State Office Park
Johnson Hall, 3rd Floor  |  107 Pleasant Street  |  Concord, NH 03301
(603) 271-2155  |  fax: (603) 271-2615