|New Hampshire State Library
|For Librarians - Library Management - Youth Services - Internet Resources
|This page is designed to be a resource for those who provide library services to children and young adults in public and school libraries in New Hampshire. For more information, please contact Ann Hoey, Youth Services Coordinator, at the New Hampshire State Library, 603-271-2865 or New Hampshire State Library, 20 Park Street, Concord, NH 03301.
- Collection Development Training
- Developed by the Arizona State Library, this excellent site provides practical training in how to perform collection development in public libraries. It covers such topics as selection, acquisitions, weeding, intellectual freedom, donations, and sample policies.
- Crew Manual
- Developed by the Texas State Library, this manual offers weeding guidelines for public libraries.
- From the Arizona State Library, a step-by-step guideline.
Children's and YA Literature Sites and Booklists
- ALA Children's Notable Lists
- Links to notable children's books, recordings and videos.
- Many booklists and reviews of new titles from the Public Library of Charlotte & Mecklenburg County.
- Books for Boys
- Michael Sullivan's list of picture books and chapter books that will appeal to boys.
- Capitol Choices: Noteworthy Books for Children
- Annotated lists of contemporary books organized by year for different ages of children.
- Children's and YA Books in Series
- From the Mid-Continent, MO Public Library, this database contains over 23.000 series titles.
- Children's Book Council
- Author and Publishing links as well as links to booklists. See especially lists for notable social studies and outstanding science booklists.
- Children's Picture Book Database at Miami University
- An academic website for designing literature-based thematic units.
- Children’s Picture Books
- Thematic lists of picture books with suggestions for library activities.
- Cooperative Children's Book Center
- Links to many bibliographies such as annual best of the year lists and booklists created with Common Core standards in mind.
- Guys Read
- Jon Scieszka's Favorite Books for Guys.
- Geared to kids, a site with lots of reviews and spotlights on new books.
- No Flying No Tights
- Developed by librarian Robin Brenner, this site reviews graphic novels for children, teens, and adults.
- Plymouth District Library Teen Booklists
- Extensive annotated booklists in categories such as Audio Books for Great Listening and Gentle Reads, compiled by the Plymouth (MI) District Library.
- Reading Rants
- Reviews of current titles as well as various booklists for teens.
- Staff Picks for Kids
- Many lists on topics ranging from adoption and end of life to sports, fantasy, and graphic novels.
Online Review Sources
- Includes selected reviews of this ALA publication.
- Children's Bookwatch
- Reviews of current titles from Midwest Book Review.
- Commonsense Media
- Geared toward helping families choose books, music and movies.
- Horn Book
- Sample reviews from the current print issue as well as other features.
- Kirkus Reviews
- Reviews from current issue as well as back issues..
- School Library Journal
- Most of the content requires a subscription to access.
- Video Librarian
- Geared to librarians, this online journal provides some reviews of newly-released videos.
- Limited access to articles and features of this young adult review journal .
- Young Adult Books Central
- Information and review site for YA books.www.yabookscentral.com
Sample Collection Development Policies
- Acqweb's Directory of Collection Development Policies on the Web
- A list of links to the collection development policies of public, school and other types of libraries.
- Nancy Keane’s Booktalks—Quick and Simple
- Find 1,000 booktalks for books with interest levels ranging from kindergarten to adult. Lots of ideas and suggestions for successful bbooktalking.
- DLTK's Crafts for Kids
- Variety of craft projects and printable templates for children.
- Enchanted Learning.com
- Craft projects for preschool and elementary school children using household materials.
- Family Fun: Crafts
- Selected arts and crafts ideas from Family Fun magazine.
- Gayle's Preschool Rainbow
- Theme-based activity ideas.
- Idea Box
- Crafts, games, music, and recipes.
- Ultimate Guide to Crafting with Kids
- Links to craft sites for young children, older kids and teens .
- A searchable database of almost 2,000 song lyrics.
- Mama Lisa's World
- Find children's songs and rhymes from countries around the world.
- Sing Along Midis and Lyrics
- From the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, this site offers song lyrics, which can be played online.
- Abby the Librarian
- A practicing librarian shares her storytime tips.
- Activity Idea Place
- Over 3400 activity ideas for young children, thematically organized.
- Alphabet Soup
- Contains thematic units, holiday units, games and activities for kids; teacher and parent resources; and crafts
- Babies' Lap Time
- Resources for librarians creating programs for six-24 month-olds.
- BayNews--Storytime Ideas
- Developed by a California librarian, this site offers dozens of storytime themes, which are continually updated.
- The Mother Goose Pages: Nursery Rhymes
- Rhymes grouped by theme along with links to other resources.
- The Perpetual Preschool
- Craft and activity ideas for holidays and seasonal themes.
- Perry Public Library
- Many storytime themes.
- Perry Public Library Babytime Booklet
- A booklet on games, rhymes, songs, and lullabies for babies 0-24 months old.
- Picture Books Listed By Theme
- Part of Gayle's Preschool Rainbow, this page lists themes with links to recommended books with advice about choosing a good picture book.
- Tell Me a Story: Bilingual Programs for Children and Families
- Programs for toddlers, preschoolers, and families in Spanish and English.
- Maker and DYI Programs
- YALSA's resources for makerspace programming and a link to STEM programming .
- Programming Librarian
- Many "passive" programming ideas.
- Teen Program Guide
- Teen Program Guide with ideas for each month from the YA Services Division of Ohio Library Council.
- Teen Programming Ideas and Resources
- A list of ideas and links to programs compiled by the Idaho State Library.
- Teen Programs that Work
- Programming ideas from NH teen librarians.
- Youth Programs
- Some ideas from the Mid Hudson Library System.
New Hampshire State Library Resources
- Professional Collection
- The NHSL houses a library and information services collection that contains many materials of interest to librarians serving children and young adults. Some of these titles deal primarily with theory, while others offer practical ideas and programs. Check the NH State Library Catalog to find a title on a topic of interest to you. All of these resources are available through interlibrary loan.
- Family Resource Connection
- This special service of the NHSL provides information about child development, education, child care, disabilities and health issues related to young children. The Family Resource Connection offers a lending library of books, videos, journal articles and other child-related materials. All materials are available through interlibrary loan.
New Hampshire Programs
- The Flume: NH Teen Readers' Choice
- Everything you need to know about the Flume Award, geared to New Hampshire students in grades 9-12.
- Great Stone Face Book Award
- Information about the award, order forms for rubber stamps, and bookmark templates.
- Great Stone Face Book Award
- The annotated list of nominated books geared to students in grades 4-6.
- Isinglass Award
- Booklist selected by New Hampshire students in grades 7 & 8.
- Ladybug Picture Book Award
- Sponsored by the Center for the Book at the New Hampshire State Library, this award is for a picture book chosen by children in preschool through grade 3.
- Free Continuing Education Webinars
- List of free monthly webinars compiled by Jamie Marcus of the Wyoming State Library.
- Idaho Commission of Libraries--Continuing Education
- Check out the basic library courses in the ABLE and SABLE programs.
- WebJunction Events Calendar
- Calendar listing free library webinars.
- Wyoming State Library Calendar
- Free continuing education webinars on a variety of library topics. Be sure to note the time zone information.
- Great Websites for Kids
- Links to good websites for kids along with recommended sites for parents, teachers and caregivers.
- Internet issues related to teens including safety, blogging tips, and acronyms parents should know.
- Books for Children
- Sponsored by the Libri Foundation, this grant offers new hardcover children's books to small, rural libraries.
- Children's Literacy Foundation
- This organization provides a variety of literacy programs to communities in NH and VT.
- The Ezra Jack Keats Minigrants
- Public Schools and public libraries can apply for $500 grants for projects that foster creativity in diverse communities
- Lois Lenski Covey Foundation
- This foundation awards grants for the purchase of children's books to public libraries, school libraries, and non-profit agencies serving disadvantaged populations.
General Sources for Grants
- New Hampshire Charitable Foundation
- A collection of over 1,200 funds created by donors for individualized charitable purposes.
- Foundation Center
- A general resource for learning about grant opportunities and grant-writing.
- Grants for Nonprofits--Libraries
- From Michigan State Libraries,
a compilation of web pages and books of potential interest to nonprofit organizations seeking funding opportunities related to libraries
- Advice and Information on Grant Seeking and Proposal Writing
- Practical tips on planning and researching grant ideas.
- Library Spot—Grants
- Links to many grant topics, including grant writing resources.
Professional Organizations for Youth Librarians - Many organizations offer librarians the opportunity to keep in touch with others in the profession. Check the web sites of the following organizations to find out about important events and get information about many library-related topics.
- The American Library Association
- American Association of School Librarians (AASL)
- Association of Library Service to Children (ALSC)
- Young Adult Library Services to Associations (YALSA)
- New England Library Association (NELA)
- New Hampshire Library Association
- Children's Librarians of New Hampshire (CHILIS)
- Young Adult Librarians (YALS)
- New Hampshire School Library Media Association(NHSLMA)
Electronic Discussion Lists
- Listserv for children's librarians in New Hampshire
- A general list for New Hampshire librarians
- A great source for program ideas, reference stumpers, and solutions to library problems
- A list for New Hampshire librarians serving teens
Sample Library Policies
- Sample Library Policies for the Small Public Library
- A list of policies including patron responsibilities and conduct, Internet use, materials selection/collection development.
- Morton Grove Public Library
- Many different kinds of library policies including an unattended child policy .
Library Web Pages
- Kidspace @ The Internet Public Library
- Librarian-selected websites on a variety of topics for children.
- Multnomah County Library Kids Page
- Excellent resources for homework help, booklists and other children's topics.
- TeenSpace@ The Internet Public Library
- Librarian-selected websites on various topics of interest to teens
- Family Reading Partnership
- Resources for adults to help children to connect with books.
- Hennepin County Library--Birth to Six--Early Literacy
- Tips for teaching the six early literacy skills as well as booklists, fingerplays, and reading tips in 16 languages.
- Mother Goose Programs
- Picture books, activity guides, materials and training to transform reading with preschool children into multidimensional and powerful learning experiences.
- National Center for Families Learning
- A non-profit organization providing literacy information and support for family literacy services.
- PLA & ALSC’s Every Child Ready to Read @ Your Library
- A research-based early literacy project targeting parents of young children.
- Reading Rockets
- Information about reading issues with a link to a calendar of literacy events nationwide.
- Saraj Ghoting--Early Childhood Literacy Consultant
- Ways for librarians to incorporate the Every Child Ready to Read project into their storytimes, including scripts in a variety of languages.
- Zero to Three
- Links to information on a variety of early childhood issues from adoption to brain development to television.
- A to Z Home's Cool Homeschooling
- Curriculum information, timely topics, support networks, and more.
- Home Education Magazine
- Online articles and links to other resources.
- Homeschool World
- Home of Practical Homeschooling Magazine with links to topical information.
- Homework Spot Homeschooling
- Links to national homeschooling organizations, online classes, homework help and more.
- Jon's Homeschool Resource Page
- A wide variety of resources.
- New Hampshire Homeschooling Resources
- Links to resources such as field trips, meetings, magazines and other online sources for NH homeschoolers.
NH School Media
- American Association of School Librarians
- ALA’s division for school librarians with links to school media topics.
- Big Six
- A popular approach to teaching information and technology skills.
- Media Specialist Certification Courses
Courses offered by Plymouth State University toward library media certification.
- NH School Library Media Association
- Website geared to NH school librarians and paraprofessionals with link to listserv.
- NH Library Media Certification
- Relevant information from the NH Department of Education on the alternative methods of certification as well as the specific competencies required of media specialists.
www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rules/state_agencies/ed500.html Look for 507.21 Library Media Specialist