State of New Hampshire
Department of Corrections logo
New Hampshire Department of Corrections
Public | Business | Government | Search This Site

 About Us
 State Prisons
 Inmate Locator
 Contact Us
 Site Map



Citizen Involvement and Volunteers

The New Hampshire Department of Corrections welcomes the voluntary collaboration, commitment and support offered by private citizens, organizations, and agencies to supplement rehabilitative services offered to adult felons under incarceration, probation or parole.

For the personal safety of community members, correctional staff and criminal offenders, certain institutional security protocols are required in advance of any intended voluntary services. Please refer to the links below for forms you might need.


DOC needs help in specific areas from time to time and we will be posting these opportunities in this space when they occur. These are always unpaid volunteer positions, with little to no contact with inmates. The positions would (hopefully) be temporary, and would be filling in for an empty position due to budgetary reasons, retirement, promotion, or any other reason for vacancy. Check back from time to time to see what is available!

IT@DOC needs someone to help with secretarial duties, filing, phones, etc. They have just lost two full-time staff members, so they are desperate for some part-time help to do paperwork, and hopefully keep them somewhat up-to-date. IT experience is not necessary, although it might make it more interesting to you. You need to be able to follow instructions, do basic computer work (Word, Excel), filing, and possibly phone answering. You would be working at our headquarters, 105 Pleasant Street, 3rd floor. There would be minimal inmate contact... only the office cleaners and occasionally inmate movers or painters. The number of hours would be up to you. More than one volunteer could be accepted if their hours worked together.

Classification Bureau/Offender Records also has a need for secretarial help. They are below normal staffing levels and need someone to help keep up with scanning records, filing, and other duties as needed. This is at the New Hampshire State Prison for Men on North Main Street, but it is outside the secure perimeter. Inmate contact is limited to office cleaners and helpers. The hours would be decided by you and the administrator in charge of the Offender Records area. More than one volunteer could be accepted if hours worked well together.

Remember, these are unpaid, volunteer positions! You would need to meet with the administrator of the specific area and have an informal interview where you would discuss the duties, hours, etc.

Before being able to start working you would need to have submitted the application (Citizen Involvement Application for 2014, see below), passed the background check, and attended the two-hour orientation class, which is given at least monthly. If you have any interest, please email or call one of the people listed below:

Please submit all inquiries on citizen involvement, to:

Laura Hardwick, Volunteer Coordinator
Division of Community Corrections
New Hampshire Department of Corrections
Shea Farm Transitional Housing Unit
60 Iron Works Road
Concord, NH 03301

If Ms. Hardwick is unavailable, you can contact Leslie Bartlett, Program Administrator II, by phone at 603-271-5601, or by email at

DONATIONS TO DOC POLICY #3.30 adobe acrobat

1. Citizen Involvement Application adobe acrobat
2. Rules and Guidance for Citizen Involvement and Volunteer 2013adobe acrobat
3. Activity Proposal form adobe acrobat
4. Quarterly Time Sheet adobe acrobat
5. Offender Support from the Religious Community brochure adobe acrobat
6. Official Visitor Registration adobe acrobat
7. Volunteer Orientation Schedule (Oct 2014 - Nov 2015) adobe acrobat

adobe acrobat This symbol indicates the document is in Portable Document Format (PDF). To view PDF files, you will need the Adobe Acrobat Reader which is available for free from Adobe.
nh | Privacy Policy | Accessibility Policy