State of New Hampshire
Department of Corrections logo
New Hampshire Department of Corrections
Public | Business | Government | Search This Site

 About Us
 State Prisons
 Inmate Locator
 Contact Us
 Site Map

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. Inmate information
  2. Types of information available
  3. Visiting an inmate
  4. Sending mail to an inmate
  5. E-mailing an inmate
  6. Sending money to an inmate
  7. Phoning an inmate
  8. Ordering authorized property items for inmates
  9. Inmate made products
  10. Donations of items
  11. Inmate Locater Parole Date Listing
  12. Programming Services
  13. Sex Offender information
  14. Reporting PREA violations
  15. Policies, Procedures and Directives (PPDs)
1. Inmate information
The New Hampshire Department of Corrections publishes an online inmate locater, updated on a daily basis. This is extracted from the DOC Offender Management database and there can be delays in publishing the information depending on how quickly it has been put into the system. You may call the Office of Public Information at (603) 271-5602 during regular business hours, Monday-Friday, 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM Eastern Time. You may also write to the New Hampshire Department of Corrections, Office of Public Information, PO Box 1806, Concord, NH 03302. You may also obtain the information via e-mail by writing The New Hampshire Department of Corrections does not have information about offenders incarcerated in a New Hampshire County House of Corrections.
For official Medical Records inquiries please call (603) 271-6063. Please fax Medical Records ROI's to (603) 271-5295.
2. Types of information available
The New Hampshire's Right to Know Law RSA 91:A governs what information NH-DOC can release to the public. That information includes the following:
  • If an offender is in custody
  • Inmate identification number
  • Which facility the offender is housed in
  • Sentencing information
  • Jurisdiction
  • Offender's age
  • Date of admission
  • Parole eligibilty date
  • Maximum release date
  • Date of execution

Information that is not released to the public
  • Offender's specific room assignment
  • Offender's job assignment
  • Offender medical or mental health information
  • Offender disciplinary information
  • Offender education scores
  • Pre-sentence investigation reports
  • Information pertaining to ongoing or incomplete investigations
  • Parole records
3. Visiting an inmate - Visiting Policy Microsoft Word symbol Visiting policy memorandum from Commissioner William WrennMicrosoft Word symbol
Visiting is a privilege. Inmates are authorized two visits weekly between Sunday and Saturday. Visits from attorneys, clergy, or other "official" visitors are not counted against this quota. All visitors must be approved by New Hampshire Department of Corrections staff. Inmates will be authorized an unlimited number of family members on their visiting lists. All visitors will undergo a criminal background check prior to approval.
  • Inmates must request that a prospective visitor be placed on his/her list. All visitors must fill out a visitor's application and send it directly to the inmate.
  • Visitors under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an approved adult family member or other legal guardian on the inmate's visiting list.
  • Inmates must provide the visitor's full name, address, phone number, date of birth, and identifying number (driver's license, military ID, non-driver ID). The inmate must certify that no court or parole board has ordered the inmate to refrain from contact with the prospective visitor. This process takes approximately 3 weeks.
  • The application for an individual visitor can be obtained on page 18 of the above visiting policy.
  • The application for an "official" visitor can be found on pages 16-17 of the above listed policy.
  • The Department enforces a dress code for visitors.

Inmates in the Reception & Diagnostic (R&D) Unit get one visit per week after they are medically cleared and until such time as they receive a permanent housing assignment. Visiting hours are available by clicking on the links below.
4. Sending mail to an inmate- Mail Policy Microsoft Word symbol
Inmates may receive mail. Letters can be up to ten (10) pages in length. Inmates can receive up to two (2) packages from an NHDOC authorized vendors during the holiday season as part of an arrangement with approved vendors. The inmate will be apprised of who those vendors are at the appropriate time. Throughout the calendar year books or magazine subscriptions can be sent directly from recognized mail order companies or publishers. The receipt must be included within the package or it will be returned to the sender. The number of items allowed in the inmate's housing unit is based on which unit the inmate resides in. Certain items are not permitted to enter correctional facilities. All other offender purchases must be made by the inmate from the facility's canteen. Outside purchases of similar items are prohibited.

Concord facilites:

Inmate Name
Inmate #
NH State Prison
PO Box 14
Concord, NH 03302

The mailing address for inmates in the North End Transitional Housing Unit is:

Inmate Name
Inmate #
North End Transitional Housing Unit
PO Box 14
Concord, NH 03302

The mailing address for inmates in the Transitional Work Center is:

Inmate Name
Inmate #
Transitional Work Center
PO Box 14
Concord, NH 03302

The mailing address for offenders in the Residential Treatment Unit is:

Inmate Name
Inmate #
Residential Treatment Unit
PO Box 14
Concord, NH 03302

The mailing address for residents of the Secure Psychiatric Unit is:

Resident Name
Resident #
Secure Psychiatric Unit
PO Box 2828
Concord, NH 03302

The mailing address for residents at Shea Farm Transitional Housing Unit:

Inmate Booking Name
Inmate #
Shea Farm Transitional Housing Unit
60 Iron Works Rd.
Concord, NH 03302


The mailing address for inmates at the Northern NH Correctional Facility is:

Inmate Name
Inmate #
Northern NH Correctional Facility
138 East Milan Rd.
Berlin, NH 03570


The mailing address for inmates at the NH Correctional Facility for Women is:

Inmate Name
Inmate #
317 Mast Rd.
Goffstown, NH 03045


The mailing address for residents at Calumet Transitional Housing Unit:

Inmate Booking Name
Inmate #
Calumet Transitional Housing Unit
126 Lowell St.
Manchester, NH 03103

For inmates serving sentences in other jursidictions, the Department does not release which non-New Hampshire jurisdiction they are housed in. You may send your letter to the New Hampshire State Prison Offender Records Office, PO Box 14, Concord, NH 03302 and the correspondence will be forwarded to the inmate.

5. E-mailing an inmate - Inmate Email policy Microsoft Word symbol
Inmates can receive e-mail through a contracted vendor. The inmate's e-mail address must be obtained directly from the inmate. Inmates do not have access to the Internet.
6. Sending money to an inmate
Inmates can receive money in the mail in the form of a personal check or money order only. The Department does not accept electronic money transfers. You cannot send an inmate cash in the mail. The check or money order must be made payable to the Inmate's name and identification number. Your name and complete return address should be written legibly on both the envelope and on the money order/check. If the check or money order is not legible it will be returned to sender. The check or money order will be deposited into the inmate's account. An inmate's account can have up to $1,000 in it. There will be a 30 day hold on personal checks.
7. Phoning an inmate- Phone Policy Microsoft Word symbol
Telephone calls are a privilege. Inmates can call you collect. The recipient will be charged a connection fee as well as a per-minute fee. The proceeds benefit the inmate recreation fund. Inmates can have up to twenty (20) individuals on their calling list. Inmates can estbalish pre-parid accounts or debit accounts but cannot have pre-paid calling cards or cellphones in their property. To be removed from an inmate's calling list please contact the institution.

To establish a Pre-paid account call 1-888-506-8407
To establish a Debit account please call 1-888-888-8413

Frequently Asked Questions about the Inmate Phones

Any questions pertaining to pertaining to billing for inmate phone services provided by I-C-S must be referred to 1-888-506-8407

8. Order and buy authorized property items for inmates.

Certain property items can be purchased outside of the facility canteens. The New Hampshire Department of Corrections Recreation Offices work with Union Supply Direct to buy items such as shoes, clothing, electronics, and other allowable items. You may also purchase pre-approved food items for C-2 and C-3 inmates once a year through Union Supply Direct during the Summer Incentive-Based Package Program. Family and friends can order property and summer packages online at Additionally, you may order by phone toll free at (877) 765-7012 or mail your order form to Dept.#605, P.O. Box 309, Groveport, OH 43125-0309.


9. Inmate made products
Inmate made products will be available through the Correctional Industries showroom located at 312 North State Street, Concord, NH. (603) 271-1933. The showroom is closed for renovations and will reopen May 23, 2016.
10. Donations of items
Items can be donated to the New Hampshire Department of Corrections. By state law all items must be approved by the Governor and Executive Council. If you would like to donate something to NH-DOC please contact the DOC warehouse at (603) 271-1876 or the Office of Financial Management at (603) 271-5607. You can find more information by reading the DOC Donation policy.

11. Inmate locater parole date listing
Why does the parole eligibility date change on the Inmate Locater?

All decisions to release offenders on parole are those of the New Hampshire Adult Parole Board. It is a separate entity from the NH Department of Corrections and follows different New Hampshire state statutes and administrative rules. Some of the factors considered by the Parole Board prior to those decisions include the following:

  • Has the inmate had a hearing before the Parole Board and been granted the privilege of parole?
  • Has the inmate completed state-ordered programming or treatment?
  • Has the inmate submitted a parole plan that has been approved by the Parole Board?

However the inmate locater only records the original parole eligibility date. The Department cannot publish a projected release date because that is frequently unknown until the Parole Board provides the official documentation to the Department that the parole plan has been approved. Once that occurs the inmate is generally paroled within 24-48 hours.

12. Programming Services
What kind of programming services do inmates have access to?

Programming services are implemented using evidence-based practices. Intervention services, the Corrections Special School District, and the Family Connections Center are among the programming services outlined in this document entitled: Inmate Programming Available at the New Hampshire Department of Corrections. adobe acrobat reader symbol

13. Sex Offender information
The Registration of Criminal Offenders is managed by the New Hampshire State Police.

14. Reporting PREA Violations
How do I report allegations of sexual abuse?

The Federal Prison Rape Elimination Act (PREA) requires the NH Department of Corrections to establish a method to receive third-party reports of sexual abuse on behalf of an inmate. To do so you may e-mail your information to


adobe acrobat reader symbol  This symbol indicates the document is in Portable Document Format (PDF). To view PDF files, you will need the Adobe Acrobat Reader which is available for free from Adobe.

nh | Privacy Policy | Accessibility Policy