THE FAMILY CONNECTIONS CENTER
The New Hampshire State Prison for Women is a leased facility with a capacity of 105 beds. The facility houses state-sentenced female offenders. The Warden of this facility oversees all female inmates including those at the Shea Farm Transitional Housing Unit in Concord.
Offender Population on July 1, 2013 - 159 (including Strafford County contract)
Programs & Services
- Education - Both Career and Technical Education and GED assistance are available to offenders. Vocational programs include keyboarding, word processing, desk-top publishing, database, spreadsheets, bookkeeping, and accounting.
- Hospitality and Marketing Program. Offenders receive skills that can be utilized in a career of lodging and tourism promotion and development.
- Health care - On site nursing staff with regular visits from contract physicians
- Mental Health - On-site psychiatrist, mental health clinician, and corrections counselor
- Library - Approximately 3,500 leisure and informational publications including a full law library
- Furniture upholstery training program
- Victim IMPACT Program -- strives to improve offender empathy toward crime victims/survivors and understanding about the many impacts of crime. It teaches inmates how crime harms real people -- physically, emotionally, and financially.
- Each year work crews log over 300 hours of community assistance for University of New Hampshire Cooperative Extension, Brookside Congregational Church, Villa Augustina Maintenance, and yard work for the Goffstown Police Department
Approximately 75 people from the community volunteer their time to provide/lead self-help groups, domestic violence group, cognitive problem solving, alternatives to violence, self-esteem groups, AA/NA, Hobbycraft, a softball league, and a women's chorus.
The prison chaplain provides religious services. Approximately 30 people offer Bible study, prison fellowship seminars, and Catholic, Protestant, and non-denominational worship services.
The New Hampshire State Prison for women employs 41 staff including 27 Corrections officer and 14 non-uniformed staff.