The New Hampshire State Prison for Men is the state's oldest prison facility. The original state prison was built in 1812. A new facility was constructed in 1878. Following extensive renovations and new construction in the 1980's, this facility remains in use today. The NH State Prison for Men is a multi-security level male only facility with the capacity of 1,205. The Secure Psychiatric Unit is also on the grounds.
Offender Population in July 1, 2014 - 1,531
- Education - The Granite State High School is recognized by the New Hampshire Department of Education as its own school district. Inmates can obtain their diploma or their GED.
- Career and Technical Education Center - Information Technology, auto mechanics, small engine repair, horticulture, food service management, business education, and building trades .
- Counseling/Case Management
- Life Skills - Living in Balance, Thinking for a Change, Peer Exchange group, anger management, parenting, domestic violence, alternatives to violence, mediation, stress control, AA/NA, aid to incarcerated marriages, and cognitive problem solving.
- Religious/Chaplain services
- Victim IMPACT Program -- strives to improve offender empathy toward crime victims/survivors and understanding about the many impacts of crime. It teaches inmates how crime harms real people -- physically, emotionally, and financially.
Industries Shops on premises - For more details click: New Hampshire Correctional Industries Website Homepage
- License plate shop
- Sign Shop
- Print Shop
- Wood Shop
- Information Technology Department
- Tailor Shop
- Electronic Shop
- Furniture Shop
Secure Psychiatric Unit
SPU is a 60 bed unit established in 1985 by state statute to house and treat a mixed population of severely mentally ill persons. The residents include mentally ill prison inmates, mentally ill jail inmates, criminal and civil committees. Also inside the SPU is the Residential Treatment Unit, which is a treatment unit for inmates with mental health issues that cannot be successful in the general population.
The New Hampshire State Prison for Men employs 466 staff including 330 Corrections Officers and 133 non-uniformed staff.