Opened - March 17, 2000 (Grand Opening: April 29, 2000)
Total capacity - 700 male close custody-minimum-medium security offenders
Offender Population on January 1, 2013- 633
The mission is to provide a safe and secure environment that will challenge individuals to develop their potential through personal growth. Promote meaningful learning opportunities that nurture responsible decision making, recognize and support development of emotional maturity and advance personal responsibility. Honor individual strengths, respect and embrace the commitment to disciplined teamwork as essential to safe and efficient prison management.
NCF is located 120 miles north of Concord. The construction of NCF in the New Hampshire North Country has developed stable employment options for qualified New Hampshire residents and has contributed substantially to the infrastructure of the North Country economy.
NCF operates a modified therapeutic community for its mental health treatment.
- Living in Balance
- Counseling/Case Management
- Family Connections Center
- Parenting skills
- Education - geared to GED preparation and testing
- Include scheduled recreational library and law library.
- The core of NCF's recreational library material was built using the generous donations of reading material from libraries throughout the State Library system.
Career and Technical Education Programs
- Recreational opportunities continue to be developed.
- A basic Hobbycraft area affords inmates creating small crafts an opportunity to make articles for sale in the Department's inmate store, Corrections Creations, based in Concord.
- The inmate Canteen is operational and operates on a bi-weekly basis with 325 transactions per draw.
- Community Volunteers augment existing programming with weekend retreats offering Alternatives to Violence, marriage retreats and Kairos. With the assistance of volunteers from the NH community, NCF provides numerous opportunities for both Christian and non-Christian inmates to meet their spiritual needs through a variety of religious programs.
- NCF Industries continues to develop and expand as the infrastructure for its operating base is created. Currently, forty inmates are employed by NCF Industries. Information Technology, Wood Shop, Caning and Upholstery Manufacturing Technology serve as the current base. As the operational base expands, NCF Industries will increase operations and expand specialty areas.
NCF strives as an organization to be a contributing asset to the community. Regular meetings are held with a group of citizens who sit on the Citizen Advisory Committee. This group comes from a broad spectrum of the community. They are educated on the operation of the prison and provide valuable feedback and suggestions from a community perspective. Numerous tours are given to educational and government groups. The Warden routinely briefs the Berlin City Council on prison activities.
The Northern New Hampshire Correctional Facility employs 207 staff including 147 Corrections Officers and 60 non-uniformed employees.