nh.gov
New Hampshire Division of Historical Resources
Search This Site
 HOME
 About Us
 Programs
 Project Review & Compliance
(Section 106)
 SCRAP
 Publications
 Grants
 Consultant Lists
 News & Events
 Links
 Contact Us
 Site Map
 
Publications - Exterior Statues and Memorials at the New Hampshire State House Complex
 

Liberty Bell replica The Liberty Bell replica stands in front of the statues of Daniel Webster and John Hale, on the State House front lawn.

In 1950 the U.S. Department of the Treasury, with the financial aid of several American private companies, selected the Paccard Foundry, of Annency-le-Vieux, France, to cast fifty-five full-size replicas of the American Liberty Bell. The replica bells were shipped to all forty-eight American states, and to American territories and to Washington, D.C., as a part of the "Save For Your Independence" savings bond drive, held May 15 - July 4th, 1950. For more information on this bond drive, see
(Google) states +liberty bell +war bonds; and
www.libertybellmuseum.com/statebells.html

The original Liberty Bell was ordered by the Assembly of the Royal Province of Pennsylvania, for use in the Pennsylvania State House (now named Independence Hall).

The bell was cast by Whitechapel Bell Foundry, in London, England, and delivered to Philadelphia in late August/early September 1752. But this bell cracked the first time it was rung. While a replacement bell was ordered, the cracked bell was recast by John Pass and John Stow, of Philadelphia. Pass and Stow added copper to the alloy in the recasting; when the tone proved unsatisfactory they recast the bell once more, and this time the tone was acceptable. The recast bell was hung in the steeple of the Pennsylvania State House in June 1753.

The bell remained in the steeple of the Pennsylvania State House until September 1777, when the British Army threatened to capture Philadelphia during the American War for Independence (American Revolution). Then the bell was removed from Philadelphia and carried to Northamptontown (now Allentown), Pennsylvania. It was stored there, beneath the floor of a church, until the British left Philadelphia, in 1778. [In honor of Allentown's contribution to this part of the national history, the Liberty Bell Museum , at Allentown, holds Pennsylvania's replica Liberty Bell.]

The inscription on the Liberty Bell replica reads: PROCLAIM LIBERTY THROUGHOUT THE LAND UNTO ALL THE INHABITANTS THEREOF. LEV. XXV X [Levicticus 25:10, in the Holy Bible]. BY ORDER OF THE ASSEMBLY OF THE PROVINCE OF PENNSYLVANIA FOR THE STATE HOUSE IN PHILADA [Philadelphia] PASS AND STOW PHILADA [Philadelphia] MDCCLIII [1753]

For more information see http://en.wikepedia.org/wiki/Liberrty_Bell.

 
  New Hamphshire Historical Resources logo
19 Pillsbury Street      Concord NH 03301-3570     preservation@dcr.nh.gov
 
NH State Seal nh.gov | privacy policy | accessibility policy
Copyright (c) State of New Hampshire, 2007