nh.gov
New Hampshire Division of Historical Resources
Search This Site
 HOME
 About Us
 Programs
 Project Review & Compliance
(Section 106)
 SCRAP
 Publications
 Grants
 Consultant Lists
 News & Events
 Links
 Contact Us
 Site Map
 
 
Programs > NH State Register of Historic Places > Photographs & Descriptions
 
Citizen's Hall, Chesterfield Citizen's Hall, Chesterfield
Brick Schoolhouse, Sharon Brick Schoolhouse, Sharon
People's Baptist Church, Portsmouth People's Baptist Church, Portsmouth
Abbott-Spalding House, Nashua Abbott-Spaulding House, Nashua
Robie's Country Store, Hooksett Robie's Country Store, Hooksett
Wakefield Town Hall Wakefield Town Hall
Benjamin Aldrich Homestead, Colebrook Benjamin Aldrich Homestead, Colebrook
Lake Company Office, Laconia Lake Company Office, Laconia
Acworth Town Hall, Acworth Acworth Town Hall, Acworth
Sellin Farm, Barnstead Sellin Farm, Barnstead
Province Road Meeting House, Belmont Province Road Meeting House, Belmont
Benjamin Rowe House, Gilford Benjamin Rowe House, Gilford
Richards House, Goffstown Richards House, Goffstown
New England College Covered Bridge, Henniker New England College Covered Bridge, Henniker
Brown Company Barns, Berlin Brown Company Barns, Berlin
Sunapee Mountain Grange #144, Goshen Sunapee Mountain Grange #144, Goshen
Rolfe Barn, Concord Nathaniel Rolfe Barn, Concord
a rare and well-preserved example of a late 18th century double English barn, built in a single campaign with very high caliber framing techniques.
Ray Farm, Hillsborough
an intact late 18th century farmstead on 130 acres, farmed by the Ray family for more than 140 years.
Ray Farm, Hillsborough
Chamberlain Bridge, Merrimack Chamberlain Bridge, Merrimack
a double stone arch bridge of notable length and curved design, built in 1921 at the center of Merrimack village.
Daniel Smith Tavern, New Hampton
A longstanding landmark in New Hampton Village, the Daniel Smith Tavern welcomed and served travelers and visitors from 1805 to the 1920s.
Daniel Smith Tavern, New Hampton
Four Corners Farm, Wilton Four Corners Farm, Wilton
first settled in c.1760, this 150+ acre farm was among the earliest in Wilton. A large and successful early 20th century dairy farm, it now is home to the Temple-Wilton Community Farm.
Moore-Scott House, Derry
built in the early 18th century by one of the town’s founders on an early road between Derry and Windham and farmed for centuries by the Moore and Scott families.
Moore-Scott House, Derry
Sanborn Mills, Loudon Sanborn Mills, Loudon
intact and well-preserved saw and grist mill complex that served 19th century Loudon Center farmers. These local mills were once common in the state; now only a handful survive.
Maynard-Gates House, Marlborough
built by yeoman Jedediah Maynard in the 1760s, this house is believed to be the earliest structure remaining in Marlborough
Gates House, Marlborough
Carroll County Courthouse, Ossipee Carroll County Courthouse, Ossipee
a local landmark, a fine example of the Neo-Classical Revival style, and the seat of Carroll County government since its construction in 1916.
Hildreth-Jones Tavern, Amherst
a center for county business, political discourse, news, entertainment and commerce in the 18th and early 19th centuries, a time when Amherst was the county seat and among the largest towns in New Hampshire.
Hildreth-Jones Tavern,  Amherst
Epsom Town Hall, Epsom Epsom Town Hall, Epsom
A quiet and pristine reminder of 19th century civic life along the well-traveled First New Hampshire Turnpike.
Haley Homestead, Lee
O wned by the Haley family for more than 150 years, daily life at this Georgian style home was well-documented in the 19th century journals of family member S. Olevia Haley.
Haley Homestead, Lee
Clinton Grove Academy, Weare Clinton Grove Academy, Weare
G enerations of Weare schoolchildren have placed through this local landmark, built in 1874 to replace the school where abolitionist Moses Cartland first served as headmaster.
Graves Homestead, Brentwood
First settled by the Graves family in the mid-1700s, this property documents several generations of the family’s contributions to Brentwood. The house, built c.1809, combines elements from the Georgian and Federal styles and plans.
Graves Homestead, Brentwood
Centennial High School, Milford Centennial High School, Milford
Built in 1894-94 of brick and Milford granite, this building was one of the first large high schools in southern New Hampshire. At its opening, the local newspaper praised its construction, noting that “interior arrangements afford every convenience for teachers and scholars …. finest location in town.”
Allenstown Meeting House, Allenstown
Built in 1815, the Allenstown Meeting House is the state’s only surviving town meeting house that was built originally as a one-story structure and yet served the full range of civic and religious functions that were expected of a town meeting house. It also has a rare slanted main floor for improved visibility of the speakers in the pulpit.
Allenstown Meeting House, Allenstown
Emery's Tavern, Concord Emery's Tavern, Concord
Built by one of East Concord’s founding families in the 18th century, this tavern served as a community gathering spot for city residents and travelers during the tumultuous War of 1812. For many years afterward, it functioned as a working farm on the banks of the Merrimack River.
Sarah and Simon Green Farm, Farmington
The history of this farm echoes the story of farms all over New Hampshire. Sarah and Simon Green cleared the land and built their home at the time of the Revolutionary War. Today the farm’s working buildings, landscape and stone walls illustrate the farm’s development well into the 20th century.
Sarah and Simon Green Farm, Farmington
Colonial Theatre, Keene Colonial Theatre, Keene
Built to be “New England’s most modern and perfectly appointed theatre,” the Colonial has been a landmark on Keene’s Main Street since 1923. During its first week of operation, 6000 free tickets were offered to see the silent film, The Hunchback of Notre-Dame.
The 1937 Terminal, Manchester
Recently moved across two runways to avoid expansion plans at Manchester Airport, the 1937 Terminal is a testament to both the state’s aviation pioneers and the tireless vision of modern day historic preservationists. Now owned by the city of Manchester, it will open as the museum and archives of the New Hampshire Aviation Historical Society next year.
The 1937 Terminal, Manchester
Dana House, Lebanon Dana House, Lebanon
Believed to be the oldest extant dwelling in Lebanon, the Dana House documents more than 200 years of changing fortunes, tastes and construction techniques in Lebanon. The city ensured its preservation in 1988 by moving the Dana House out of the path of development; it is now used as a museum, study house and meeting space.
Londonderry Grange #44, Londonderry
This well-preserved rural community grange hall has remained in continuous use by Grange #44 since its construction in 1909. Its stone and shingled exterior is a landmark in Londonderry’s civic center. Several years ago, the building’s original plans and specifications were discovered at a Massachusetts flea market and returned to Londonderry.
Londonderry Grange #44, Londonderry
Lamprey House, Moultonborough Lamprey House, Moultonborough
Built about 1812 as a one-story, square plan house, the Lamprey House was greatly expanded as the late 19th century home of Eveline and James French, store owner, selectman and state legislator. In the 20th century, its prominent role in the village continued as the Red Hill House and the Moultonborough Inn.
Moultonborough Town House, Moultonborough
Built in 1834 as the first town hall in Moultonborough, this meeting house served as the center of local government and affairs for well over a hundred years. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places as well, the building is now the headquarters of the Moultonborough Historical Society.
Moultonborough Town House, Moultonborough
Gorham Town Hall, Gorham Gorham Town Hall, Gorham
Built in 1919 in brick, Gorham Town Hall replaced opera houses that had burned on the site in 1914 and in 1917. Since then, the three-story Colonial Revival style building has been the center, over the years housing the town offices, the police and fire departments, the town library, an auditorium and the local Masonic lodge.
Blanchard-Bowers House, Merrimack
According to local records, the Blanchard-Bowers was built c.1726 as a center chimney cape, raised to 2-1/2 stories about 1750, and then updated with a colonnaded façade addition in the 1830s. Today the building is among the best examples of the Greek Revival style in Merrimack and houses the administrative offices of The Thomas More College. Each of its architectural transitions illustrates the town’s growing prosperity as a 19th century center for agriculture, industry and trade.
Blanchard-Bowers House, Merrimack
Whipple House, Bristol Whipple House, Bristol
The Whipple House was built in 1904 for the family of Henry Chandler Whipple, president of the Dodge Davis Woolen Mill, a local mill that was perhaps best known for providing uniforms to major league baseball teams. This well-preserved Queen Anne style home is a landmark in historic downtown Bristol.
Rossview Farm, Concord
Well-known for its strawberries, pumpkins, maple syrup and Christmas trees, Rossview Farm today incorporates three early farms in West Concord. Historic farm buildings, a former school house, cellar holes, sugar bush, stone walls, and acres of fields and forests together tell the story of farming in the Merrimack Valley for more than 200 years.
Rossview Farm, Concord
Baptist New Meeting house, New London Baptist New Meeting house, New London
The design of this Federal style meeting house was patterned after designs in Asher Benjamin’s The Country Builder’s Assistant, the first architectural guidebook written by an American for American craftsmen. Since 1826, the church has sheltered religious and community activities, redefining the center of New London and drawing the center of the village from Summer Street east to its current location.
Mt. Forist Grange Cemetery, Berlin
Members of some of Berlin’s founding families are buried at the Mt. Forist Grange Cemetery. Established about ten years after settlers from Gilead, Maine, moved to the Androscoggin River intervale, this small burial ground is one of only two known family cemeteries in Berlin. The city opened a public cemetery the following year, followed by a number of cemeteries associated with churches.
Mt. Forist Grange Cemetery, Berlin
Bridges House, Concord Bridges House, Concord
Best known as the home of Henry Styles Bridges and as the official residence of the governor, the Bridges House was built by prosperous local joiner Charles Graham in 1835-1836. Bridges, a one-term governor and long-time U.S. Senator, and his wife Doloris owned the property from 1946 to 1969, when she bequeathed the house and its contents to the state for use as the governor’s residence. It continues to serve that purpose today.
Samuel R. Hanson House, Rochester
An excellent example of the Greek Revival style, the Samuel R. Hanson House is distinctive for its use of two equally-treated facades and its prominent location on Rochester Hill. With its well-preserved barn, granite fences and mature trees, the property is the best surviving example of the prosperous farmsteads that once covered Rochester Hill.
Samuel R. Hanson House, Rochester
Rolfe Homestead, Concord Rolfe Homestead, Concord
The Rolfe Homestead tells the story of settlement, agriculture and industry along the Merrimack River in Penacook since the 18th century. Members of the Rolfe family were founders and leading industrialists in Penacook village and Concord for many years. The architectural significance of the rare double English barn on the property has already been recognized by the Register. This listing expands the designation to the entire property.
Waumbek Cottages c. 1910 view, Jefferson Wayonda, one of the six Waumbek Cottages, Jefferson
Waumbek Cottages c. 1910 view, Jefferson (left) and Wayonda, one of the six Waumbek Cottages, Jefferson (right)
Today, six historic summer cottages comprise the Waumbek Cottage Historic District in Jefferson - Onaway, Wayonda, Wyndybrae, Bashaba, The Birches and The Bungalow. Built as part of the once larger, fabled Waumbek Hotel complex, the cottages today are significant both for their landmark architecture along Route 2 and for the story they continue to tell about summer tourism in the White Mountains.
Spinney Meeting House, Wakefield Spinney Meeting House, Wakefield
Constructed in the 1830s and largely unaltered today, the Spinney Meeting House follows a common plan for small churches of the Greek Revival period in New Hampshire. The building was the center of community life in the small village of South Wakefield until being abandoned in the 1920s. Now the town of Wakefield plans to repair and re-open the building for community meetings and activities once again.
North District School, Greenland
The brick North District School in Greenland opened in 1847 to provide a well-built and healthy learning environment for 48 students, complete with wall maps and a library of 200 volumes. Since 1938, it has housed the Greenland Veterans Association, a local charitable and social organization. Although much has changed along Portsmouth Avenue since 1847, the school remains a landmark of earlier times along this busy road.
North District School, Greenland
Universalist Church, Lempster Universalist Chapel, Lempster
Another local landmark at a busy intersection, the Universalist Chapel was built in 1845, one of four new public buildings constructed during this period in the growing village of East Lempster. Although small, the building served well as a church for more than 100 years. Today it remains a well-preserved example of the vernacular Greek Revival style and houses the Miner Memorial Library.
New London Barn Playhouse, New London
The New London Barn Playhouse has a long, colorful history as a popular and successful summer stock theater. Established in 1933, the theater moved the next year into its current home, a c.1820 barn that had long been a fixture on New London’s Main Street. A training ground for many well-known performers, it is credited with being the oldest, continuously operating summer stock theater in New Hampshire.
New London Barn Playhouse, New London
Randolph Church, Randolph Randolph Church, Randolph
As one of the few public buildings and the only church in town, the Randolph Church has hosted countless services, hymn sings, weddings, funerals, philanthropic activities and social events since its construction in 1884. Extremely well cared for and preserved, it remains a pristine example of the late Greek Revival style in northern New Hampshire.
Simon's Store, Weare
Simon’s Store has served as a store, boarding house, residence and even the telephone exchange during its more than 200 year history. A unique and defining feature at the center of Weare Village, the store has been owned by the same family since 1892 and is now under restoration.
Simon's Store, Weare
Pawtuckaway CCC camp, Deerfield Pawtuckaway CCC Camp, Deerfield
Built by and for the Civilian Conservation Corps, this recreation hall remains a tribute to the camp’s many contributions in Deerfield from 1933 to 1937. With its prominent stone fireplace, the building is familiar to the thousands who attend the Deerfield Fair every year; it now serves as home to exhibit “Deerfield Fair Past and Present.”
Madison Corner School, Madison
Built in 1835, the Madison Corner School is a quintessential rural one-room schoolhouse, with its simple Greek Revival details, paired doors in the gable end, stove chimney and clapboarded exterior. Now part of a larger complex of educational buildings, the school today houses the Madison Historical Society.
Madison Corner School, Madison
Manchester Quirin House Eugene and Mary Quirin House, Manchester
With its prominent corner turret and rich Queen Anne style decoration, the Quirin House has been owned by only two families since its construction in 1906. Eugene Quirin immigrated to Manchester from France in 1883 and became one of the West Side’s most successful businessmen and prominent citizens. The Phaneuf family acquired the property in 1955 and converted it to a funeral home, creating one of the oldest continually-owned family funeral businesses in the state.
North Hampton Town Hall, North Hampton
Constructed in 1844, the North Hampton Town Hall was the site of town meetings and functions for 160 years as the village grew around it. The town’s 1815 Paul Revere Bell hangs in the clock tower. Built with recycled timbers from North Hampton’s 1734 and 1761 meeting houses, this Greek Revival style landmark was rehabilitated and is still in use.
North Hampton Town Hall, North Hampton
Mt. Washington Cemetery, Bethlehem Mt. Washington Cemetery, Bethlehem
The Mt. Washington Cemetery is the oldest burial ground in Bethlehem; although the cemetery was formally cleared and fenced in 1800, the earliest graves date to 1795. The historic landscape of graves, stone walls and mature cedars is a quiet landmark on Main Street. The Bethlehem Heritage Society is now working to preserve gravestones that have deteriorated with time.
Webster Stagecoach Stop and Store, Danville
This small shingled building set close to the road is the only documented example of a rural stagecoach stop in the state. Other examples are parts of larger properties with a number of historic uses. Early customer accounts remain intact, written on interior walls. The stagecoach stop’s unusual history illustrates the importance of stagecoach routes in the 19th century, not only for travel, but for commerce and mail delivery as well. The building is now mothballed for safekeeping; the Danville Heritage Commission is working the property owners to preserve the building.
Webster Stagecoach Stop, Danville
Folsoms Tavern, Durham Folsom's Tavern, Durham
Folsom’s Tavern / Odiorne Farm is a landmark property along one of the state’s most historic transportation routes, the First New Hampshire Turnpike, now known as US Route 4. Built c.1805, the tavern served travelers on the newly built turnpike at the north end of the Piscataqua Bridge. The 54-acre farm and outbuildings also document close to 200 years of tidal farming along Royalls Bay and Little Bay.
Union Chapel, Hillsborough
Designed by local architect John W. Jackman, Union Chapel was constructed in 1887 after four years of fund raising by the Ladies Aid Society. In the years since, the chapel has hosted worship services, summer school, Sunday school, plays, weddings, bazaars and other social gatherings. Formed to foster a sense of community in the growing and industrious Lower Village, the Society has maintained the chapel in pristine condition for more than 100 years; membership dues remain at 25 cents a year.
Union Chapel, Hillsborough
Stone Homestead, Swansey Stone Homestead, Swansey
Built c.1791, the Stone Homestead served as an early tavern along the main road at Swanzey Center, at the foot of Mount Caesar. Beginning in the 1830’s, six generations of the Stone family lived at the farm, keeping the tavern, expanding farming and logging operations, and updating the main house in the Greek Revival style in the mid-19th century.
Stone Arch Bridge, Keene
One of the finest and more daring arched spans in the country when constructed in 1847, this stone arch bridge today carries pedestrians rather then rail cars. It is one of twenty large arched granite bridges and culverts on the former Cheshire Railroad. The line was described as “one of the most thoroughly-constructed roads in the country. Its bridges, culverts and abutments, built of cut granite, are models of civil engineering.” This stone arch rises 50 feet above the river, with a clear span of almost 70 feet.
 Stone Arch Bridge, Keene
Bowker House, Keene Bowker House, Keene
The John Bowker House is an outstanding example of the Italianate style, a popular architectural idiom in mid-19th century Keene. Built for the family of manufacturer John Bowker in 1866, the house features a flush boarded exterior painted in imitation of stone, highly decorative trim and window treatments, and a matching connected carriage barn. Many well-preserved Italianate elements, such as staircases, fireplace surrounds and doors, remain in the interior as well.
H.E. Netsch & Sons Blacksmithing, Manchester
This property is a rare example of a 20th century blacksmith shop. Blacksmith, wheelwright and carriage builder H.E. Netsch opened the shop about 1930, with a specialty in horseshoeing. He passed the shop and his blacksmithing skills to his son, Carl, who continued in the business until 1995. The utilitarian building retains many characteristics that illustrate its former use, such as the brick forge, concrete floors, business signs and the well-ventilated interior. H.E. Netsch & Sons was Manchester’s last operating blacksmith shop.
H.E. Netsch Blacksmithing, Manchester
Peterborough Town Library, Peterborough Peterborough Town Library, Peterborough
The Peterborough Town Library was designed by resident George Shattuck Morrison, a nationally renown bridge engineer, in 1892. Morrison’s straightforward design, with an emphasis on function and long-lasting materials such as brick and iron, was augmented with a Classical Revival portico in 1914, at the bequest of his sister. Established in 1833, Peterborough is credited with being the oldest free library in the world supported entirely by public funds.
Portsmouth Marine Railway, Portsmouth
From 1833 to 1855, the Portsmouth Marine Railway hauled wooden brigs, barks, schooners and clipper ships onto ways for inspection and repair. Heavy machinery, with the assistance of only two horses, could pull vessels weighing more than 500 tons upright out of the Piscataqua River. Later used as a residence and a fish market, the building today houses the Portsmouth Players’ Ring Theatre.
Portsmouth Marine Railway, Portsmouth
 Holman & Merriman Machine Shop, Hinsdale Holman & Merriman Machine Shop, Hinsdale
The clerestory roofline of the brick Holman & Merriman Machine Shop is a landmark in Hinsdale Village. Built in 1837 as a cooperage and pail factory, the mill was home to the Holman & Merriman Machine Shop from 1865 to the 1920s. In 1875, a shop apprentice, George Long, produced the world’s first self-propelled vehicle, now on display at the Smithsonian Museum. Although once part of a complex of industrial buildings and shops along the Ashuelot River and canal in Hinsdale, the Holman & Merriman Machine Shop today is one of the few physical reminders of the village’s 19th century industrial prominence.
Corner School House, Westmoreland
The earliest section of the Corner School may date to 1789; it now serves as a wing to the new and improved school, built in the Greek Revival style in 1846. Westmoreland students attended this one-room schoolhouse until the 1950s; its blackboards and bookshelves are still in place. This state designation adds to the property’s listing to the National Register of Historic Places in 1984.
Corner School House, Westmoreland
Smyth Library, Candia Smyth Library, Candia
Although a public library had operated out of several buildings since the 1880s, the Smyth Library was the first purpose-built library building in Candia. Marion C. Smith donated it to the town in 1934 in honor of her late husband, Frederick Smyth. A native of Candia, Smyth was a successful businessman and politician. Under his leadership as governor, the New Hampshire College of Agriculture and Mechanics was established in 1866; it later became the University of New Hampshire in Durham. The Smyth Library bears a striking resemblance to the Taylor Library in East Derry and may have been designed by the same architect.
Thomas Ayres Homestead, Greenland
The earliest sections of the Thomas Ayres Homestead were built circa 1737 on the old post road between Boston and Portland, Maine. The house and property have expanded since, creating an imposing landmark on the town green in Greenland. In the late 1800s, the Ayres Homestead served as a summer boarding house, called Elm Shade, offering city dwellers a quiet rural vacation for $1 a day. Its owners continue that historic use today, operating a bed & breakfast.
Thomas Ayres Homestead, Greenland
Littleton Community House, Littleton Littleton Community House, Littleton
The Community House has served as a center for social activities and services for close to 100 years in downtown Littleton. Since the center’s opening in 1919, more than two million people have visited and worked together there. Built in 1884 as the residence of a lumber baron, the Queen Anne style house is asymmetrical in plan and form and incorporates a variety of materials and projections. The well-preserved and ornate interior features and finishes are illustrative of late 19th century/early 20th century styles and tastes.
Temple Town Hall, Temple
A landmark in the historic village of Temple, this Greek Revival style building was constructed in 1842 to serve a local Universalist congregation. After the congregation’s membership dwindled, the Miller Grange took over the building in 1875 and added a stage. The town purchased the building in 1889 for use as a town hall, although the grange continued to meet there. Although the town offices are now located in another building, the Temple Town Hall is currently under repair and will continue to serve as a community meeting and gathering space.
Temple Town Hall, Temple
Shedd Free Library, Washington Shedd Free Library, Washington
Constructed in 1881, the Shedd Free Library stands as an extremely well-preserved example of an eclectic style, with Renaissance Revival and Eastlake influences, as applied to civic architecture. The library is significant for its prominence within the village center, as well as for its longstanding contributions to education and civic life in Washington. Its architect, Shephard S. Woodcock of Boston, also designed the Grace United Methodist Church in Keene and the Sanborn Seminary in Kingston.
Haverhill Lime Kilns, Haverhill
Two stone lime kilns stand off the Chippewa Trail near Black Mountain in Haverhill, well-preserved survivors of an important 19th century industry. Mined limestone, rare in New Hampshire, was heated in the kilns until it turned into powdered lime, which was then packed in barrels and shipped throughout New England for use in agriculture, as mortar and in a wide variety of other products. Built in 1838 and 1842, the kilns operated successfully for approximately 50 years, aided by the close proximity of acres of woodland for fuel and the Concord, Boston & Montreal Railroad for transport. The Civilian Conservation Corps and other government work programs occupied the site in the Depression, repairing one of the kilns in 1940-41. Today the Haverhill Heritage Commission is working with the property owners to keep the kiln site cleared and open for public access.
Haverhill Lime Kilns, Haverhill
Simonds Rock, Merrimack Simonds Rock, Merrimack
Simonds Rock is an unusual resource on the New Hampshire State Register. Credited by the United States Geological Survey (USGS) as being the second largest glacial boulder reported in New Hampshire, Simonds Rock measures about 50 feet long, more than 30 feet high and more than 25 feet long. Only the Madison Boulder is larger. Given the rock’s composition of Massabesic Gneiss, the USGS estimates that it was carried to its current location by a glacier from a site about five miles to the northwest. Simonds Rock derives its historical importance as a landmark for land surveyors and travelers along Pennichuck Brook and the Merrimack River for hundreds of years. It has also provided legendary inspiration for writers and storytellers through time. Today Simonds Rock is owned by the Southwood Corporation, a company of the Pennichuck Corporation.
New Castle Congregational Church, New Castle
The New Castle Congregational Church is the only ecclesiastical building in this small town and has served as a focus of community life since it was built in 1828. Research shows that the master builder, Thomas F. Foye, and the finish carpenter, Andrew B. Vennard, drew inspiration for its construction from the design books of architect Asher Benjamin and the appearance of St. John’s Church, located upriver in Portsmouth. Today, both the exterior and interior of the church remain largely unaltered, well-cared for by the congregation for close to 200 years.
New Castle Congregational Church, New Castle
Odiorne Homestead, Rye Odiorne Homestead, Rye
An estuarine farm since the 1600s, the Odiorne Homestead illustrates some of the most significant aspects of New Hampshire history: use by American Indians, the first European settlement in the state, tidewater farming, and coastal defense during World War II. Buildings and landscape features on the farm today include a c.1800 farmhouse, a barn and greenhouse, an ancient well and cemetery, old roads, salt marsh, stone walls, a World War II era storage building for TNT, and acres of re-forested farmland. The property serves as the southeast headquarters for the New Hampshire Division of Parks and Recreation, Department of Resources and Economic Development
Governor Wentworth State Historic Site, Wolfeboro
In 1768, New Hampshire’s last royal governor, Governor John Wentworth of Portsmouth, began clearing a 6000-acre site in Wolfeboro for a summer estate. From Wentworth’s inventory records we know that a large salaried labor force built a mansion, scores of outbuildings, a game reserve, mills and a landing on Lake Wentworth. Wentworth fled New Hampshire on the eve of the Revolution, and his estate was seized and later sold at auction. The mansion house burned in 1820. In 1933, historian Lawrence Shaw Mayo gave the core of the estate – 96 acres – to the state. Today, the town of Wolfeboro prides itself on being the oldest summer resort in America, and the Department of Resources and Economic Development and the Friends of the Governor Wentworth State Historic Site care for the property.
 Gov. Wentworth Site, Wolfeboro
Sawyer Tavern, Keene Sawyer Tavern, Keene
The Sawyer Tavern served West Keene as a public house from 1806 to 1843, and again from 1922 to about 1950. As it stands today, it is a well-preserved example of an early 19th century inn, and an important reminder of the architecture and lifestyle of early 19th century New England.
Head Chapel and Cemetery, Hooksett
Originally an 1839 school, the Head Chapel was remodeled in 1922 to serve as a chapel for the cemetery, which has been in use since 1800. The chapel was a model school, being not only one of the most substantial schools in the area and representative of local brick manufacturing, but also remains one of the most intact one-room schoolhouses left in the region.
Head Chapel and Cemetery, Hooksett
Indian Stream Schoolhouse, Pittsburg Indian Stream Schoolhouse, Pittsburg
Constructed in 1897, the one-room schoolhouse stands as an intact and well-preserved example of public architecture as applied in an isolated, rural setting. Local records and this solidly-built structure testify to the importance of education in this isolated community.
Stone Memorial Building, Weare
Designed by New Hampshire architect William Butterfield in 1896, the Stone Memorial building is a significant example of Neo-Classical style in a village setting. The building was constructed with money donated by Joseph Stone in honor of his father, Phineas J. Stone, and would “provide suitable room for a public town library, and a room for … memorials for the soldiers in the late ‘War of the Rebellion,’ so called between the North and the South” as well as providing town office space.
Stone Memorial Building, Weare
Hooksett Library Prominent citizen Arah W. Prescott donated the funds to build the Town Library in 1909, and designed the building himself. Completed in 1910, the building and the institution it houses have contributed significantly to the education of the citizens of Hooksett.
Allenstown Public Library, Allenstown Allenstown Public Library, Allenstown
Erected circa 1934-35 by Works Progress Administration workers, this Colonial Revival structure is the only building in Allenstown constructed expressly as a library. The design by Harold, Homes, Owen, Inc. has well served the community for more than 70 years.
Hooksett Village Bridge (aka Lilac Bridge), Hooksett
Known locally as the “Lilac Bridge,” this 1909 structure is one of the state’s nine surviving metal truss bridges designed by engineer John William Storrs, the only bridge design specialist in the state in the early 20th century. The three-high-span truss bridges an important crossing of the Merrimack River, first bridged after 1804 by the proprietors of the Londonderry Turnpike.
Hooksett Village Bridge (aka Lilac Bridge), Hooksett
Thomas Farm, Rindge Thomas Farm, Rindge
This property is comprised of 130 acres of woodland, pasture, gardens and orchards. Its buildings include the 1771 Nathaniel Thomas House, a significant example of Georgian style, and the 1839 George Thomas house. Five generations of the Thomas family lived on and farmed the property from 1771 until 1931.
Lisbon Railroad Station, Lisbon
This circa 1875 station was constructed by the Boston, Concord, and Montreal Railroad. The depot retains distinctive architectural details, reminiscent of the Eastlake style, and played a significant role in the history of transportation and commerce in the White Mountains.
Lisbon Railroad Station, Lisbon
Marelli's Market, Hampton Marelli's Market, Hampton
First constructed circa 1841 on Exeter Road, it was moved to its current location in 1900 when the commercial center of Hampton shifted to what is now Route 1. In 1914, Luigi and Celestina Marelli established a market selling primarily produce and candies. Over the years, Marelli’s has been a purveyor of fine foods, produce, and candies, an institution in the business district and a rare survivor of the small village markets that were once so plentiful. It is the longest continually operating business in Hampton Center.
Rolfe Family Historic District, Concord
This district is part of the former Nathaniel Rolfe Farm, the first established settlement in this section of Penacook. This collection of buildings provides a rare example of a double English barn, an excellent Greek Revival house, a Queen Anne house, and an unusual example of late 18th century building construction.
Rolfe Family Historic District, Concord
Kelley's Corner School, Gilmanton Kelley's Corner School, Gilmanton
Authorized in 1778, this one-room school house served the community as a school for more than 100 years. It is still used as a community building, holding an important place in the social life of the community, and is a sole survivor of this building type in the town of Gilmanton.
Bartlett Engine House, Bartlett
Constructed in 1887 by the Portland & Ogdensburg Railroad, this building soon became a hub for the Mountain Division of the Maine Central Railroad. The locomotives kept in Bartlett assisted trains over the grade leading to Crawford Notch, opening the White Mountains to tourism and logging, thereby transforming the region’s economy.
Bartlett Engine House, Bartlett
Pelham Library and Memorial Building, Pelham Pelham Library and Memorial Building, Pelham
In 1896, citizens committed tax money for the construction of this building, which was erected to house town functions, serve as a memorial to Civil War soldiers and honor the 150th anniversary of the town’s incorporation. This was Pelham’s first and only library until 2003. It has served an important role in the town’s development.
(no photo) Francestown Mill Village Historic District, Francestown. This collection of 10 houses was built to support the once-thriving mill district. Most of the houses in this district date from the 1820s, when a soapstone mill was constructed to support what was then the most important industry in Francestown. Six of the 10 owners have chosen to have their properties listed within this recognized district.
(no photo) Francestown Main Street Historic District, Francestown. At the center of the village that was founded in 1772 and named for Frances (Deering) Wentworth, wife of Governor Wentworth, this district includes both the commercial and residential districts surrounding Main Street, and consists of 44 total properties. Twenty-seven property owners have chosen to have their properties listed within this recognized district.
(no photo) Bennington Village Historic District, Bennington. This district is an excellent example of a residential community that developed around a small industrial center, once a typical growth pattern in New Hampshire communities. Paper manufacturing, which began in Bennington in 1819, became the dominant industry in the 1920s and continues today at the Mondadnock Paper Company. The district contains 130 properties; 36 property owners have chosen to have their properties listed within this recognized district.
Upper Village Hall, Derry Upper Village Hall, Derry.
Built in 1875, this town hall has served as the site of town meeting, the town’s first library, a grange hall and a fire station, among other uses. Built in the Italianate style, this building has been the political center of town since its construction.
Harbor House Livery/Sunapee Town Hall, Sunapee.
Built circa 1889, this building originally served the vital tourist trade around Lake Sunapee as a livery stable attached to the Harbor House hotel. It has since served as town hall, fire station and police station, showing the adaptability of its historic construction and the thrift of town citizens.
Harbor House Livery/Sunapee Town Hall
James M. Perkins House, Sunapee James M. Perkins House, Sunapee.
This 1890 house is a well-preserved, if late, example of a Victorian-era Second Empire-style house, with a mansard roof, canted bays on the corners and elegant sawn scroll work details.
Kentlands, New London.
This summer home near the Little Lake Sunapee region was designed by Prentice Sanger in 1908-1909 for his parents. The property exemplifies the summer house movement and is notable for its architecture.
Kentlands, New London
Stoddard Town Hall Stoddard Town Hall, Stoddard.
Constructed in 1868, it has served as the center of the town’s civic life for 140 years. It is an excellent example of a simple Greek Revival town building.
Thayer Public Library, Winchester (Ashuelot).
This building was constructed in 1823 as a Greek Revival-style home. In 1902, Julia Thayer, philanthropist and wife of a mill owner, renovated the home into a library for the people of her hometown.
Thayer Public Library, Winchester
(no photo) Gregg-Montgomery House, Francestown.
Built between 1773 and 1778, this Georgian-Federal transitionalist style house is a significant example of residential architecture. Throughout its history, its owners have been prominent in agriculture and medicine.
(no photo) Robert Lane Farm House/R.P. Caggett Farm, Newport.
This well-preserved 18th century home, built circa 1782, is one of the earliest extant houses in Newport. Located on Unity Road, a main thoroughfare at the time, it is a Colonial building with small additions in later revival styles, notably two porches.
(no photo) 34 Main Street, Bennington, Bennington Village District
The Bennington Village Historic District is a residential district which developed when the paper mill industry attracted workers who needed housing. The district was recognized in July 2008. One property has been added to this district.
(no photo) Old Bixby House, Main Street Historic District, Francestown
The Francestown Main Street Historic district is a small village of houses that grew up around the soapstone mill in the 1820s. The district was recognized in July 2008, and one additional property has been added.
Blair Bridge, Campton Blair Covered Bridge, Campton. This Long truss bridge was built in 1870 and is the only surviving New Hampshire example of Lt. Col. Stephen Harriman Long’s patent design of 1830, one of the first engineered truss designs.
(no photo) Old Town Hall, Salem. This center of community life in Salem for over 200 years is also a well-preserved example of a colonial building renovated in the Colonial Revivial and Medieval “arts and crafts” styles by Edward Searles and prominent architect Henry Vaughn.
Hooksett Town Hall Hooksett Town House/Town Hall, Hooksett. The well-charted history of this somewhat altered town house is a physical record of the town meeting democracy. Every aspect and change of this structure went to a vote of the townspeople, making it a truly New Hampshire resource.
Jeremiah Smith Grange #161, Lee. This former church, built in 1841, was converted to a grange hall in 1891 and still serves as a center for community gatherings in the agricultural town of Lee. Jeremiah Smith Grange, Lee
(no photo) Moulton-Greene-Leach House, Moultonborough. This house is an excellent example of a Greek Revival-style connected farm building, the once-common house style that is key to the historic agricultural landscape of New England.
Nathan Gould House, Stoddard <Nathan Gould House, Stoddard. Built in 1833, this house—which records indicate may incorporate an 1815 farmhouse that was moved to town—showcases the work its carpenter-owner and is an excellent example of Greek Revival architecture.
(no photo) Old Thornton Town Hall, Thornton. Built in 1789 and substantially renovated in 1861, this building shows the changing needs of a small town hall and reflects a community’s unique adaptation of those needs.
(no photo) The two properties added to the Francestown Main Street Historic District are the James Crombie House, built in 1819 by a local doctor, and The Beehive, once part of the Francestown Academy.  
Samuel Nutt-Joseph Kingsbury Farm, Francestown The Samuel Nutt-Joseph Kingsbury Farm, Francestown. The architecturally impressive brick Federal block of this house was built circa 1794 by Kingsbury and was attached to the 1767 wooden cape constructed by Nutt. The house is an early example of brick construction in western New Hampshire, and the history of the farm shows the development of agriculture in the region.
Main Street Historic District, Francestown. Two properties were added to this district: the Caleb Weston House, a five-bay cape on Oak Hill Road; and the Town Hall (formerly the Francestown Academy), which was built in 1864 and continues to house Francestown’s municipal offices. Town Hall, Francestown
(no photo) The Long Island House Inn, Moultonborough. Though it began as a successful farm in 1821, this property is significant as a major summer boarding house in the Lakes Region. By 1900, it was accommodating up to 50 guests at a time; visitors dined on produce from the surrounding farmland. The Inn is operated by the same family that has owned it since its days as a farm.
(no photo) Brown Library, Seabrook. This impressive shingle-style building was built as a private library on Route 1 in 1892. To preserve it, the town moved it in 1994, and in its new location it retains its presence as a place to learn and study. Its excellent condition attests to its importance to the town.
(no photo) Kona Farm (currently the Kona Mansion Inn), Moultonborough. Built in 1900-1902 by architect Harry J. Carlson for Boston businessman Herbert Dumaresq, the Kona Farm is an early example of the “New Hampshire Farms for Summer Homes” program, which promoted the sale of abandoned farmland for summer estates. The property includes an architecturally significant Tudor Revival-style main house.
(no photo) Chichester Grange Hall, Chichester. The Greek Revival-style Chichester Grange Hall was constructed in 1889 by a volunteer corporation of members of the Grange, which was founded in 1888. For 120 years the building has served the town as a gathering place and community center.
Stark Park, Manchester Stark Park, Manchester. Opened in 1893 and centered on the gravesite of Revolutionary War hero General John Stark, Stark Park was one of the first citywide public parks in Manchester. It was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2006.
Kinsman Cemetery, Easton. Donated to the town in 1798 by Nathan Kinsman, one of the town’s first citizens whose wife was already buried on the site, it is likely the first public cemetery in Easton.
Kinsman Cemetery, Easton
(no photo) District 5 School/East Grafton Town Hall, Grafton. Built in 1900 for $756.33, this multi-use building served the community for 60 years with minimal changes; today it still functions as the Town Hall.
District 13 School, Grafton. The best preserved of 11 remaining schoolhouses in Grafton, it shows the impact of state school requirements as well as the wealth and growth of Grafton Village.
District 13 School, Grafton
(no photo) East Grafton Union Church, Grafton. A 1785 meeting house that was moved and renovated in the 19th century, it is an excellent example of shingle-style architecture.
Hampton Beach Fire Station, Hampton. Built in 1923, this still-active fire station is the only building associated with the Hampton Beach Precinct, which formed in 1907 to provide municipal services to the beach-end community in Hampton.
Hampton Beach Fire Station, Hampton
Glidden-Towle-Edgerly House, Lee Glidden-Towle-Edgerly House, Lee. Built circa 1749 (the current back ell) with a large, stately addition (now the main house) in 1828, this building’s legacy includes ownership by three families who were all connected with the mill industries in Wadleigh Falls.
Weare Free Library, Weare. Originally known as the Paige Memorial Library, this building is named after the library trustee who bequeathed the money for its construction in 1926.
Weare Free Library, Weare
(no photo) Westmoreland Town Hall, Westmoreland. This building has served as the center of town gatherings, both civic and social, since its construction by local man Kirke Wheeler in 1916-17.
Jonathan Livermore House, Wilton. This architecturally significant Georgian house was built circa 1770 for the town’s first minister, who was also given 240 acres, an annual salary and an allotment of firewood.

Jonathan Livermore House, Wilton

Alstead, Shedd-Porter Library Alstead’s Shedd-Porter Library. Designed in the Beaux-Arts style, this library celebrated its centennial year in 2010. Architecturally, it remains one of the most notable libraries in the state and, with its copper roof, is a landmark in Alstead. Boston architects McLean & Wright drew on the best craftsmen available to create the building’s granite exterior as well as its plaster and marble interior. It was recently listed in the National Registerof Historic Places.
Bow’s Bow Bog Meeting House. Built by noted local contractor George Washington Wheeler in 1835 for Bow’s Methodist-Episcopal congregation, this large wood-framed, wood-sided meeting house features a center steeple bell tower that still houses the bell donated by Mary Baker Eddy in 1904. The property was restored to its original specifications in 1969-70 by Phillip Baker, a noted early preservationist. Today it is used by the community as a meeting hall. Bow Bog Meeting House
(no photo) Gilmanton Iron Works’ Odd Fellows Hall/Old Town Hall. Constructed in 1902-03 for Highland Lodge #33, this all-wood building with a Second Empire tower had space on the second floor for the local Grange. It is one of only two buildings to survive the 1915 fire that gutted the village, and has been in continuous use as a town gathering space and voting station for more than 100 years.
Sandown’s Old Meeting House. This wood-frame, wood-sided building exemplifies late-eighteenth century craftsmanship and is noted for its interior’s fancy “high goblet” pulpit. Originally built by Congregationalists as a meeting house in 1773-74, the Old Meeting House hosted town meetings from 1774-1929 and is now used as a hall for both private and town functions. It was listed in the National Registerof Historic Places in 1978. Sandown Old Meeting House
(no photo) The Enfield Village Historic District is an excellent example of a Connecticut River Valley village center. Its buildings date from 1800 through the 1970s and include municipal, commercial, religious and residential structures. The village was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2010.
The Norman and Marion Perry House in Campton was designed by Hugh Stebbins in 1960 and surrounded by a Leon Pearson landscape. With its use of glass to blur the boundary between indoors and out, and its carefully planned open spaces, it represents the residential version of the Modernist architectural movement.
Perry House, Campton
Rumford House, Franklin The Rumford House in Franklin was originally constructed circa 1732 in Concord, but was taken apart and moved to Franklin in 1925 by Clyde Brown for use as an antiques shop next door to his tearoom. Together, the buildings showcased “authentic New England” to rail and early automobile tourists.
The Freedom Village Grammar School cost $2000 to build in 1895; it served the town as a two-room schoolhouse until 1983, undergoing only minor changes and upgrades. The building represents 100 years of Freedom’s investment in education.
Freedom Village Grammar School
Ossipee Mountain Grange Hall Ossipee Mountain Grange Hall was built in 1904, when fraternal farming organizations werespreading the progressive farming movement to rural areas. With meeting space for the Patrons of Husbandry and a small store, this Grange Hall served the village as asocial center.
The Goss Farm Barn in Rye is a good example of a circa 1800 English-style barn converted to a Yankee-style barn, a common update to New Hampshire farms. This transformation took place around 1870, likely to accommodate changing agricultural traditions.
Goss Farm Barn, Rye
Salem Depot Salem Depot, built in 1867, represents the town’s rail center. Once home to the Manchester and Lawrence Railroad and later the Boston and Maine Railroad, it is the only remaining depot in Salem, and one of only three still existing from the Manchester and Lawrence Railroad.
Salem’s District No. 5 Schoolhouse operated as a school from 1873 through 1944; from 1944 through 1961 it functioned as an addition to the District No. 1 school. It has since been moved to the Salem Historical Society’s grounds and restored as a schoolhouse.
District No. 5 Schoolhouse, Salem
Sandown Depot Railroad Station The Sandown Depot Railroad Station, built in 1874, was listed in the National Register in 1986 as the best remaining example of a depot on the Nashua and Rochester Railroad, once the busiest single-track line in the United States.
The Lee Webster Place on Mountain Road in Sandwich is likely one of the oldest farm properties in the area known as Cram’s Corner, a rural crossroads village dating to the 1780s. The house and lands illustrate the area’s agricultural character.
Lee Webster Place, Sandwich
Methodist-Episcopal Church, Stratford Stratford’s Methodist-Episcopal Church, now the Marion Blodgett Museum, was the first church in town in 1853. In 1896, when a more modern building was desired, the frugal townspeople stripped the original building down to its frame, added a bell tower and vestibule, and created the shingle-style building that exists today. It was used as a church through the late 1950s and became property of the Cohos Historical Society in 2001.
The Roy House, located at 9 and 11 Orchard Avenue in Nashua, is a 1915 stucco bungalow duplex likely built as a model house for the planned Orchard Heights subdivision. It is the sole remaining building from Mullikin & Way Company’s grand development dream, as well as a rare example of stucco building in Nashua.
The Roy House, Nashua
(no photo) The Burley Homestead on North River Road in Epping is a 290-acre property with two houses and has been in continuous family ownership since before the American Revolution. The homestead house, with Georgian detailing, dates to circa 1752. The Benjamin Burley house was built at approximately the same time but was remodeled in the Italianate style in the 1870s. As a homestead farm, this property is an example of how multiple households of the same family historically shared resources.
“The Pinnacle” in Hooksett is dominated by a rocky hill overlooking the Merrimack River. Long a landmark for travelers and surveyors, the site has been a tourism destination since 1855. Starting in 1880, it was developed into a park attraction that included trails, a carriage road, a landscaped grove and an observation tower atop the hill. “The Pinnacle” is significant not only as a unique area created by nature but also because of its cultural significance as a recreational destination and landmark.
Sheafe Warehouse, Portsmouth Sheafe Warehouse, Portsmouth. This warehouse was built circa 1720 using plank construction and was designed to make the loading and unloading of cargo boats, especially Piscataquag gundalows, as efficient as possible. Moved to Prescott Park in 1940, it is the sole survivor of a building type once common on Portsmouth’s waterfront.
Shaw Warehouse, Portsmouth. Built in 1806 and now used as offices, the Shaw Building is one of only three remaining industrial properties in Portsmouth’s former industrial area. It is a rare example of a vernacular warehouse building.
Shaw Warehouse, Portsmouth
Glidden House, Lee Glidden House, Lee. The building’s original mid-18th century house serves as the back wing to a circa-1820 Greek Revival house of exceptional period detailing. Once the center of a working farm, the property still retains its outbuildings as well as its relationship to Lee’s historic town center, an area now known as Wadleigh Falls.
The High Street Cemetery in Benton is the last remaining resource that conveys the history of the town’s early High Street area settlement, which was bypassed by most industry and transportation. Stories of the pioneers who settled this remote, rugged area are told by the cemetery’s 46 grave markers, the oldest of which dates to 1812 and the newest to 1877.
High Street Cemetery, Benton
Gunstock Mountain Resort, Gilford Gunstock Mountain Resort in Gilford began in 1935 as the Belknap Mountains Recreation Area; it was the largest Works Progress Administration project in New Hampshire as well as one of the state’s first year-round recreation areas. It featured both ski jumps and a motorcycle rally area, and its construction eased unemployment and created a tourism destination that is still popular today.
Mary Lyon Hall, at the center of the Plymouth State University campus, was built as a dormitory in 1915 by noted New Hampshire architect Chase Roy Whitcher, when the institution was known as Plymouth Normal School. Recently updated, it still serves as both a dormitory and as an important connection between the modern campus and its historic beginnings.
Mary Lyon Hall, Plymouth
W.F. Palmer Place, Sandwich The W.F. Palmer Place in Sandwich, a farm house and barn property that shows the shift from Greek Revival to Gothic Revival architecture, is significant primarily as a farm that also served as a retail outlet. W.F. Palmer ran a feed and grain store that later expanded to a general store, serving the crossroads village of Cram’s Corner in the first half of the 20th century.
Seabrook’s Methodist (or “Smithtown”) Cemetery was in use by 1826 and purchased by the town in 1827. It chronicles the lives of the citizens who created Seabrook, developed it, and were laid to rest there, and includes founders, soldiers, statesmen, craftspeople and members of prominent families.
Methodist (or “Smithtown”) Cemetery, Seabrook
(no photo) Three individual properties within the State Register-recognized Enfield Village Historic District have been added to the State Register: the Francis H. Wells House, the Stickney House and a duplex on Route 4. The Enfield Village Historic District is an excellent example of a Connecticut River Valley village center. Its buildings date from 1800 through the 1970s and include municipal, commercial, religious and residential structures.
Exeter’s Winter Street Cemetery was bequeathed to the town in 1738. The 2.9 acre cemetery was the primary burial ground in Exeter from 1743 through 1850 and serves as the final resting place for such prominent New Hampshire citizens as John Ward Gilman, a silversmith who created the state seal, and the Hon. Nicholas Gilman, Esq., who served as the first treasurer of the State of New Hampshire. The cemetery chronicles not only Exeter’s early history but also the evolution of grave marker styles and carvings.
Winter Street Cemetery, Exeter
Hills Memorial Library, Hudson Opened in 1909, the Hills Memorial Library in Hudson was donated to the town by the prominent and philanthropic Hills Family. The building is an excellent example of Tudor Revival architecture and was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1984. While it no longer functions as a library in the traditional sense, Hills Memorial continues to serve as a cultural center and meeting place.
Stratham’s George A. and Emma B. Wiggin Memorial Library was designed by Boston architect C. Howard Walker, who also designed buildings for the 1898 and 1904 World’s Fairs; it was built in 1911 by noted Portsmouth contractor Sidney S. Trueman. The stone building is a turn-of-the-century example of the “eclectic” movement, combining elements of Georgian, gothic, classical revival and shingle styles into a cohesive and elegant building. Wiggin Memorial Library, Stratham
Roller Shed, Freedom Built in 1901 to house the town’s large road-grading equipment, Freedom’s Roller Shed is an unusual and practical building. The equipment made travel in all seasons more possible for citizens – a boon in the early days of the twentieth century – and the shed provided year-round protection of this important investment. Part of a historic core of town buildings in Freedom village, the shed still serves as storage for the town.
The Langdon Town Hall and Meeting House was first used for town meeting in 1803 and has hosted all 209 town meetings since then. It took the town of Langdon 21 years – from its incorporation in 1787 until 1808 – to site and complete the building, which has also served as church and meeting house for civic affairs. Langdon Town Hall and Meeting House
Jackson Rd Railroad Trestle, Mason The Jackson Road Railroad Trestle in Mason was part of the Peterborough and Shirley Railroad line, which contributed to the town’s prosperity in the mid-nineteenth century by opening new markets for agricultural products, denim and granite produced in town. The trestle is the only grade-separated crossing in Mason and was built to be tall enough to allow hay wagons to pass on the road underneath. It is now part of the town’s rail trail.
Three buildings have been added to the Enfield Village Historic District, which was recognized by the State Register in April 2011: Woodbury House, J.P. Washburn House and the North Enfield Universalist Meeting House, all on Main Street. Washburn House, Enfield Village Historic District
Chichester Town House Chichester’s Town House, which now serves as the town library, was built on the site of the town’s 18th-century meeting house. Completed in 1847, it has been the seat of town government as well as the library and central meeting place for residents for more than 150 years.
Freedom Village Bandstand, built by 1902 and host to Old Home Day concerts for more than a century, was added to the State Register as part of ongoing work to document the history of Freedom’s Schoolhouse Hill. It has been the center of town events since its construction.
Freedom Village Bandstand
Grafton Town Library The Grafton Town Library existed simply as a traveling collection of books until this Colonial Revival building was constructed in 1921. Its concrete blocks were created on site, using money-saving volunteer labor. The library is viewed as the town’s way of paying tribute to the importance of learning.
Keene’s Horatio Colony House Museum was constructed in phases: its main building was begun circa 1806, an ell was added circa 1877, a renovation took place in 1898, and additional changes were completed in the 1930s. The building is significant for its architecture, which reflects both its original Federal period of construction as well as its evolution throughout the Victorian era.
Horatio Colony House Museum, Keene
Moultonborough Grange Constructed in 1810 as a tavern, the former Red Hill House in Moultonborough was purchased in 1893 by the newly formed Moultonborough Grange #197 to serve as its hall. Renovated from 1903 - 1904, it remains an excellent example of a grange hall, with its large meeting hall and stage, as well as its series of entries leading to the grange meeting spaces.
Nelson’s 1846 Greek Revival Town Hall is the third town hall built in the community and is an outstanding example of frugality and reuse as it incorporates much of the framing from the second town hall. The building sits on the common and embodies not only the history of the town, but also serves as an example of the functional, adaptable structures common to rural small town government in New Hampshire.
Nelson Town Hall
Governor Dale Estate, North Hampton The Governor Charles Dale Estate, in North Hampton, shows the common evolution of a 19th century working farm into a 20th century “gentleman’s farm” or estate. Charles Milby Dale purchased the property in 1941 and hired prominent colonial revival architect Royal Barry Wills to design a new house for it. An attorney, Dale was prominent in New Hampshire politics, serving as mayor of Portsmouth, state senate president, executive councilor, and governor from 1945-49.

In 1916, George Edwin Whitcomb, son of Swanzey’s first mill-owning family, commissioned Whitcomb Hall as a way to give back to the community. The hall, one of several public buildings commissioned by local industrialists, was designed and constructed as a true community center and has hosted a wide variety of events. In addition to an assembly and banquet room on the ground floor, it has a fully stocked kitchen, including commissioned china purchased for use at community events.

Whitcome Hall, Swanzey
Durham, Smith Chapel Durham’s Smith Chapel was built in 1900 as a tribute to philanthropist Hamilton Smith. Modeled after the chapel in England where poet Alfred Lord Tennyson’s father was rector, it is constructed in the English Gothic style with stone buttresses at each corner.
Constructed circa 1823, Hinkson’s Carding Mill played an important part in Grafton’s economy, transforming wool – and possibly flax – into usable fiber for knitting, spinning and weaving. Hinkson’s Carding Mill, Grafton
North Hampton’s Town Library
North Hampton’s Town Library was built in 1907 to house collections for the library, which had been established in 1892. Designed by James Lawrence Berry in the Tudor Revival style, the building was converted to town offices in 1973 and still serves the town in that capacity.
After much discussion about where it should be located, Orford Town Hall was built in 1859. The Greek Revival-style building, with its large hall, balcony and kitchen space, served as the central town building and social space until 1988. Orford Town Hall
Rye Town Hall Rye Town Hall was constructed in 1839 as a Methodist church and converted to town hall use in 1874. An intact example of Greek Revival architecture in Rye, its primary significance is as the town’s government hub.
Located in Franconia, “Sam’s House” is a simple one-room dwelling built by Sam Eli, an immigrant who worked as a logger throughout the mid-20th century. While the architectural features of the building itself are not significant, it provides a physical representation of the lives led by an historically important community in the northern forest: itinerant loggers and woodsmen. Sam's House, Franconia
Masonic Hall, Freedom The Masonic Hall in Freedom was constructed in 1830 as a church building. After the congregation found a new home, the local Masonic Temple purchased the building in 1926 and created a two-story space with a meeting hall on the second floor and a community gathering space and kitchen on the ground floor. The building has continued to be a central part of community life since then.
The Colonel Ebenezer Hinsdale House, located in Hinsdale, was built 20 rods from the original Fort Hinsdale in 1759; timbers from the fort were used in the construction of the ell off the kitchen. The location of the house, its outbuildings, gardens, landscaping and setting remain much as they have been for several generations. Ebenezer Hinsdale House, Hinsdale
Campton Town House Campton Town House. Built circa 1855 as the Town Hall, Campton’s Town House has also served as a library and municipal court. Currently the home of the Campton Historical Society, the building is a well-preserved example of mid-19th century civic architecture.
New Castle Town Hall. Built in 1894 by the Wentworth Lodge of the Knights of Pythias, the building served as that organization’s headquarters and meeting hall until the 1920s. In 1927, the property was purchased by New Castle to serve as its town hall. Today, the building maintains excellent architectural details, including a columned front porch and interior pressed metal wall coverings. New Castle Town Hall
Peterborough Historical Society Peterborough Historical Society. One of the first purpose-built historical society buildings in New Hampshire, this museum was funded and designed by Benjamin Russell in the Georgian Revival style and built from 1916-1920. It continues to serve as a both a historical organization and a multifaceted cultural organization for the Monadnock region.
Bath Congregational Church. Significant as an example of late-19th century religious architecture, the church has also long played an important role in the social life of the community. Built in 1873 in the Gothic Revival style, the well-preserved church retains a high degree of historical integrity. Bath Congregational Church
Oyster River Dam, Durham The Oyster River Dam in Durham was constructed in 1913 using funds donated by Edith Congreve Onderdonk as a memorial to her stepfather, Hamilton Smith. The project was part of a pattern of philanthropic activities and community planning and development that flourished at the beginning of the twentieth century.

Oyster River Falls’ first dam was built in the mid-1600s, and over the years several mills and other businesses operated on both sides of the river. Also called the Mill Pond Dam, the current Oyster River Dam is New Hampshire’s earliest known example of an Ambursen dam, a patented design that uses a system of concrete buttresses and was considered cutting edge technology in its day. The current dam was constructed to preserve the mill pond for recreational uses.

Epping, John Prescott Chase Farm. Farmed for more than 225 years, this property now operates as a community-supported agriculture farm, or CSA. Its simple Georgian-style farm house has been remodeled to accommodate the owners’ changing needs across generations, making Chase Farm a living model of Epping’s agricultural history from approximately 1785 to the present. Chase Farm, Epping
Freedom Town Hall
Freedom Town Hall. Built specifically as a town hall in 1889, this Greek Revival building continues to serve that function. In keeping with the New Hampshire tradition of a primary town building serving as a community center as well as the seat of town government, Freedom Town Hall also has a stage and kitchen, making it useful as a center for social activities of all kinds.
Haverhill, Union House Tavern. A locally significant brick building in the tradition of the Upper Connecticut River Valley, the Union House served as a tavern and stagecoach stop for most of the 19th century. Associated with the early settlement of Haverhill, the property has also been a farm for much of its history. Union House, Haverhill
Huse House, Manchester
Manchester, Huse House. Constructed circa 1809, the building was purchased by Captain Isaac Huse Jr. in 1844, who updated it from a Federal residence to a Greek Revival-style farm house. A farm for most of its history, the property has also served as a library, post office, store and tavern.
New Boston, Baker Homestead. A building frame was completed on this lot in 1756, and the Baker Homestead currently exists as a Georgian-style house with an attached shed and barn. This adapted structure represents the evolution of farmhouses and farming practices in New Boston across more than two centuries. Baker Homestead, New Boston
Old Town Hall, Columbia Old Town Hall, Columbia. Built in 1899 by a local contractor and the town selectmen, Columbia’s Old Town Hall served as a community space for town meetings and other functions, as well as the library and town offices, for generations. Although the library and town offices are now located elsewhere in Columbia, the building still hosts town meeting, selectboard meetings and voting.
Orange Town House, Orange. Since its construction in 1895, the Orange Town House has played multiple roles in the community, serving as the local school until 1949 and the town library from the early 1950s to 1992, displaying town’s history, and functioning as the seat of town government for almost 120 years. A 1980s addition to the building accommodated Orange’s growing needs.
Orange Town House
 
  New Hamphshire Historical Resources logo
19 Pillsbury Street      Concord NH 03301-3570     preservation@dcr.nh.gov
 
NH State Seal nh.gov | privacy policy | accessibility policy
Copyright (c) State of New Hampshire, 2007