nh.gov
New Hampshire Division of Historical Resources
Search This Site
 HOME
 About Us
 Programs
 Project Review & Compliance
(Section 106)
 SCRAP
 Publications
 Grants
 Consultant Lists
 News & Events
 Links
 Contact Us
 Site Map
 
 
Properties added to NH State Register of Historic Places
 

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: August 11, 2008

Mary Kate Ryan, NH Division of Historical Resources 
(603) 271-6435
MaryKate.Ryan@dcr.nh.gov

Shelly Angers, NH Department of Cultural Resources
(603) 271-3136
shelly.angers@dcr.nh.gov

Properties added to NH State Register of Historic Places

The New Hampshire Division of Historical Resources is pleased to announce that the State Historic Resource Council added two properties to and recognized three historic districts for the New Hampshire State Register of Historic Places.

The Register is part of the state’s efforts to recognize and encourage public and private efforts to identify and protect historically significant properties throughout the state. In order to be eligible for the Register, properties must be at least 50 years old and retain the unique qualities that make them irreplaceable.

“These communities and individuals have done a terrific job of understanding and valuing their historical resources,” said New Hampshire’s State Historic Preservation Officer Elizabeth H. Muzzey. “These listings represent a great deal of dedication of citizens to protect our state’s heritage and special places.”

The most recent additions to the New Hampshire State Register of Historic Places are:

Bartlett Engine House, Bartlett. Constructed in 1887 by the Portland & Ogdensburg Railroad, this building soon became a hub for the Mountain Division of the Maine Central Railroad. The locomotives kept in Bartlett assisted trains over the grade leading to Crawford Notch, opening the White Mountains to tourism and logging, thereby transforming the region’s economy.

Pelham Library and Memorial Building, Pelham. In 1896, citizens committed tax money for the construction of this building, which was erected to house town functions, serve as a memorial to Civil War soldiers and honor the 150th anniversary of the town’s incorporation. This was Pelham’s first and only library until 2003. It has served an important role in the town’s development.

Francestown Mill Village Historic District, Francestown. This collection of 10 houses was built to support the once-thriving mill district. Most of the houses in this district date from the 1820s, when a soapstone mill was constructed to support what was then the most important industry in Francestown. Six of the 10 owners have chosen to have their properties listed within this recognized district.

Francestown Main Street Historic District, Francestown. At the center of the village that was founded in 1772 and named for Frances (Deering) Wentworth, wife of Governor Wentworth, this district includes both the commercial and residential districts surrounding Main Street, and consists of 44 total properties. Twenty-seven property owners have chosen to have their properties listed within this recognized district.

Bennington Village Historic District, Bennington. This district is an excellent example of a residential community that developed around a small industrial center, once a typical growth pattern in New Hampshire communities. Paper manufacturing, which began in Bennington in 1819, became the dominant industry in the 1920s and continues today at the Mondadnock Paper Company. The district contains 130 properties; 36 property owners have chosen to have their properties listed within this recognized district.

Anyone wishing to nominate a property to the New Hampshire State Register of Historic Places must research the history of the nominated property and document it fully on individual inventory forms from the New Hampshire Division of Historical Resources.  Having a property listed in the Register does not impose restrictions on private property owners. For more information, visit www.nh.gov/nhdhr.

New Hampshire's Division of Historical Resources, the “State Historic Preservation Office,” was established in 1974 in order to preserve the historical, archaeological, architectural and cultural resources of New Hampshire that are among the state’s most important environmental assets. Historic preservation promotes the use, understanding and conservation of such resources for the education, inspiration, pleasure and enrichment of New Hampshire’s citizens. For more information, visit us online at www.nh.gov/nhdhr or by calling (603) 271-3483.

###

NOTE TO EDITORS: Electronic images of individual properties are available for reprint. Photos for districts are not available. Please contact Mary Kate Ryan, 603-271-6435, MaryKate.Ryan@dcr.nh.gov.

 
  New Hamphshire Historical Resources logo
19 Pillsbury Street      Concord NH 03301-3570     preservation@dcr.nh.gov
 
NH State Seal nh.gov | privacy policy | accessibility policy
Copyright (c) State of New Hampshire, 2007