FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: May 22, 2008
Mary Kate Ryan, NH Division of Historical Resources
Shelly Angers, NH Department of Cultural Resources
Properties added to NH State Register of Historic Places
The New Hampshire Division of Historical Resources is pleased to announce that twelve properties have recently been added to the New Hampshire State Register of Historic Places.
The New Hampshire State Register of Historic Places recognizes and honors properties that are meaningful in the history, architecture, archeology, engineering or traditions of New Hampshire’s residents and communities. It is one part of the state’s efforts to encourage public and private efforts to identify and protect historically significant properties throughout New Hampshire.
“These irreplaceable resources are the physical manifestation of our state’s history and identity,” said New Hampshire’s State Historic Preservation Officer Elizabeth Muzzey. “They create New Hampshire’s distinct identity and serve as the backbone to the state’s heritage tourism economy.”
The most recent additions to the New Hampshire State Register are:
Thomas Farm, Rindge. This property is comprised of 130 acres of woodland, pasture, gardens and orchards. Its buildings include the 1771 Nathaniel Thomas House, a significant example of Georgian style, and the 1839 George Thomas house. Five generations of the Thomas family lived on and farmed the property from 1771 until 1931.
Kelley’s Corner School, Gilmanton. Authorized in 1778, this one-room school house served the community as a school for more than 100 years. It is still used as a community building, holding an important place in the social life of the community, and is a sole survivor of this building type in the town of Gilmanton.
Rolfe Family Historic District, Concord. This district is part of the former Nathaniel Rolfe Farm, the first established settlement in this section of Penacook. This collection of buildings provides a rare example of a double English barn, an excellent Greek Revival house, a Queen Anne house, and an unusual example of late 18th century building construction.
Sawyer Tavern, Keene. The Sawyer Tavern served West Keene as a public house from 1806 to 1843, and again from 1922 to about 1950. As it stands today, it is a well-preserved example of an early 19th century inn, and an important reminder of the architecture and lifestyle of early 19th century New England.
Head Chapel and Cemetery, Hooksett. Originally an 1839 school, the Head Chapel was remodeled in 1922 to serve as a chapel for the cemetery, which has been in use since 1800. The chapel was a model school, being not only one of the most substantial schools in the area and representative of local brick manufacturing, but also remains one of the most intact one-room schoolhouses left in the region.
Marelli’s Market, Hampton. First constructed circa 1841 on Exeter Road, it was moved to its current location in 1900 when the commercial center of Hampton shifted to what is now Route 1. In 1914, Luigi and Celestina Marelli established a market selling primarily produce and candies. Over the years, Marelli’s has been a purveyor of fine foods, produce, and candies, an institution in the business district and a rare survivor of the small village markets that were once so plentiful. It is the longest continually operating business in Hampton Center.
Lisbon Railroad Station, Lisbon. This circa 1875 station was constructed by the Boston, Concord, and Montreal Railroad. The depot retains distinctive architectural details, reminiscent of the Eastlake style, and played a significant role in the history of transportation and commerce in the White Mountains.
Stone Memorial Building, Weare. Designed by New Hampshire architect William Butterfield in 1896, the Stone Memorial building is a significant example of Neo-Classical style in a village setting. The building was constructed with money donated by Joseph Stone in honor of his father, Phineas J. Stone, and would “provide suitable room for a public town library, and a room for … memorials for the soldiers in the late ‘War of the Rebellion,’ so called between the North and the South” as well as providing town office space.
Indian Stream Schoolhouse, District 1, Pittsburg. Constructed in 1897, the one-room schoolhouse stands as an intact and well-preserved example of public architecture as applied in an isolated, rural setting. Local records and this solidly-built structure testify to the importance of education in this isolated community.
Hooksett Village Bridge, Hooksett. Known locally as the “Lilac Bridge,” this 1909 structure is one of the state’s nine surviving metal truss bridges designed by engineer John William Storrs, the only bridge design specialist in the state in the early 20th century. The three-high-span truss bridges an important crossing of the Merrimack River, first bridged after 1804 by the proprietors of the Londonderry Turnpike.
Arah W. Prescott Library, Hooksett. Prominent citizen Arah W. Prescott donated the funds to build the town library in 1909, and designed the building himself. Completed in 1910, the building and the institution it houses have contributed significantly to the education of the citizens of Hooksett.
Allenstown Public Library, Allenstown. Erected circa 1934-35 by Works Progress Administration workers, this Colonial Revival structure is the only building in Allenstown constructed expressly as a library. The design by Harold, Homes, Owen, Inc. has well served the community for more than 70 years.
Anyone wishing to nominate a property to the New Hampshire State Register of Historic Places must research the history of the nominated property and document it fully on individual inventory forms from the New Hampshire Division of Historical Resources. Having a property listed in the Register does not impose restrictions on private property owners. For more information, visit www.nh.gov/nhdhr.
New Hampshire’s Division of Historical Resources, the “State Historic Preservation Office,” was established in 1974 in order to preserve the historical, archaeological, architectural and cultural resources of New Hampshire that are among the state’s most important environmental assets. Historic preservation promotes the use, understanding and conservation of such resources for the education, inspiration, pleasure and enrichment of New Hampshire’s citizens. For more information, visit www.nh.gov/nhdr or call (603) 271-3483.
NOTE TO EDITORS: Electronic images of all properties are available for reprint. Please contact Mary Kate Ryan, 603-271-6435, MaryKate.Ryan@dcr.nh.gov.