FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: April 30, 2009
Mary Kate Ryan, NH Division of Historical Resources
Shelly Angers, NH Department of Cultural Resources
Properties added to NH State Register of Historic Places
The New Hampshire Division of Historical Resources is pleased to announce that the State Historic Resource Council added four individual properties to the New Hampshire State Register of Historic Places. In addition, one property was added to the Bennington Village Historic District, and one property was added to the Francestown Main Street Historic District.
The Register is part of the state’s efforts to recognize and encourage public and private efforts to identify and protect historically significant properties throughout the state. In order to be eligible for the Register, properties must be at least 50 years old and retain the unique qualities that make them irreplaceable.
The most recent additions to the New Hampshire State Register of Historic Places are:
Stoddard Town Hall, Stoddard. Constructed in 1868, it has served as the center of the town’s civic life for 140 years. It is an excellent example of a simple Greek Revival town building.
Thayer Public Library, Winchester (Ashuelot). This building was constructed in 1823 as a Greek Revival-style home. In 1902, Julia Thayer, philanthropist and wife of a mill owner, renovated the home into a library for the people of her hometown.
Gregg-Montgomery House, Francestown. Built between 1773 and 1778, this Georgian-Federal transitionalist style house is a significant example of residential architecture. Throughout its history, its owners have been prominent in agriculture and medicine.
Robert Lane Farm House/R.P. Caggett Farm, Newport. This well-preserved 18th century home, built circa 1782, is one of the earliest extant houses in Newport. Located on Unity Road, a main thoroughfare at the time, it is a Colonial building with small additions in later revival styles, notably two porches.
The Bennington Village Historic District is a residential district which developed when the paper mill industry attracted workers who needed housing. The district was recognized in July 2008. One property has been added to this district.
The Francestown Main Street Historic district is a small village of houses that grew up around the soapstone mill in the 1820s. The district was recognized in July 2008, and one additional property has been added.
For photographs and descriptions of State Register properties, visit www.nh.gov/nhdhr/programs/state_register.html
Anyone wishing to nominate a property to the New Hampshire State Register of Historic Places must research the history of the nominated property and document it fully on individual inventory forms from the New Hampshire Division of Historical Resources. Having a property listed in the Register does not impose restrictions on private property owners. For more information, visit www.nh.gov/nhdhr.
New Hampshire's Division of Historical Resources, the “State Historic Preservation Office,” was established in 1974 in order to preserve the historical, archaeological, architectural and cultural resources of New Hampshire that are among the state’s most important environmental assets. Historic preservation promotes the use, understanding and conservation of such resources for the education, inspiration, pleasure and enrichment of New Hampshire’s citizens. For more information, visit us online at www.nh.gov/nhdhr or by calling (603) 271-3483.