FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: August 20, 2008
Peter Michaud, NH Division of Historical Resources
Shelly Angers, NH Department of Cultural Resources
Five New Hampshire properties added to the National Register for Historic Places
The New Hampshire Division of Historical Resources is proud to announce that five historic properties in the state have been honored by the United States Secretary of the Interior with placement on the National Register for Historic Places.
Administered by the National Park Service, which is part of the U.S. Department of the Interior, the National Register of Historic Places is the nation’s official list of cultural resources worthy of preservation and is part of a national program to coordinate and support public and private efforts to identify, evaluate and protect our historic and archeological resources.
The five newly listed properties join a growing list of significant New Hampshire buildings, districts, sites, structures and objects that are important in defining the state’s history and character.
The five properties recently listed represent a cross-section of New Hampshire’s historic resources. They are:
Built in 1916, the Carroll County Courthouse is a fine example of Colonial Revival architecture in Ossipee and is now the museum for the Ossipee Historical Society.
In Candia, the Smyth Public Library is named after its benefactor, Frederick Smyth, a Candia native who served as New Hampshire governor from 1865-1867. Built in 1932, it was the first purpose-built library in the town and also represents the Colonial Revival style.
The c.1835 Rowe House in Gilford is an excellent example of a New Hampshire brick cape and is starting a new life as an historic house museum operated by the Thompson-Ames Historical Society.
In Andover, the Hersey Farm Historic District represents two active farmsteads with outbuildings and landscapes that have changed little since the early 20th century. Much of the land surrounding these farms has recently been protected with a conservation easement.
Finally, the clearstory roof of the 1837 Holman & Merriman Machine Shop in Hinsdale is one of only four surviving intact in New Hampshire. Built originally as a cooperage that turned out more than 100,000 pails a year, the building was later used for a variety of manufacturing uses including what is believed to be the first self-propelled vehicle in the world.
For more information on the National Register program in New Hampshire, please visit www.nh.gov/nhdhr or contact Peter Michaud at the New Hampshire Division of Historical Resources at (603) 271-3483.
New Hampshire’s Division of Historical Resources, the “State Historic Preservation Office,” was established in 1974. The historical, archaeological, architectural and cultural resources of New Hampshire are among its most important environmental assets. Historic preservation promotes the use, understanding and conservation of such resources for the education, inspiration, pleasure and enrichment of New Hampshire’s citizens. For more information, visit www.nh.gov/nhdhr or call 603-271-3483.
NOTE TO EDITORS: Black and white electronic images of individual properties are available for reprint and broadcast. Please contact Peter Michaud, NH Division of Historical Resources, (603) 271-3583, firstname.lastname@example.org.