For the first time, the New Hampshire Division of Historical Resources’ State Conservation and Rescue Archaeology Program (SCRAP) offered a two-week archaeological field school in Historical Archaeology during the months of July and August, 2008. The program was in coordination with Antioch University and under the direction of the Division’s Historical Archaeologists Edna Feighner and Tanya Krajcik.
Participants surveyed and mapped the entire Broad Brook Community (1840-1920s), originally identified in 1983 through an archaeological field school conducted through Keene State College. The area is considered important in local history because of early lumbering activities that took place there; it was also the site of the Broad Brook Steam Lumber Mills. Other areas, from Fullam Pond to Hardscrabble (later named Nash City, settled in the 1780s), were also explored.
For photos of the Pisgah Field School click the image on the right
This was the first of many State Park surveys that the DHR will facilitate in partnership with other State agencies and organizations.