Newport, New Hampshire


East of Chandler Station and west of N.H. Route 103 on the Concord and Claremont Railroad line in Newport spanning the Sugar River.
Style of Bridge:
Double Town-Pratt lattice truss
Year of Construction:
Original Cost:
Structural Characteristics:
The bridge is 216'7" long with clear spans of 103'0" and 98'0" with a center pier. It has an overall width of 20'9" with a railbed width of 15'0", and a maximum vertical clearance of 21'1". This section of rail line has been abandoned.
Maintained By:
New Hampshire Department of Resources and Economic Development
World Guide Number:
New Hampshire Number:

bridge             bridge

Historical Remarks:
The current bridge was built in 1907 by the Boston and Maine Railroad to replace a wood lattice bridge constructed in 1871-1872 by the Sugar River Railroad. The double Town/Pratt lattice trusses with laminated arches were long favored on the branch lines of the Boston & Maine Railroad, largely under the influence of engineer J.P. Snow. In 1900 at least one hundred of this type were in use on the Boston & Maine system. This bridge is also known as the Chandler Station Bridge. The Pier Bridge is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

blue line

Previous Page previous page    next pageNext Page

Table of Contents

New Hampshire Bridges

New Hampshire Covered Bridges
Compiled and edited by
Richard G. Marshall
Chief System Planning
New Hampshire Department of Transportation
Color photographs by Arthur F. Rounds