Bartlett, New Hampshire


West of U.S. Route 302, four and one-half miles east of Bartlett Village over the Saco River.
Style of Bridge:
Paddleford truss with added arches
Year of Construction:
Original Cost:
Structural Characteristics:
The bridge is 166'10" long with a clear span of 145'0". It has an overall width of 20'4" with a roadway width of 16'6" and a maximum vertical clearance of 14'6". It is closed to vehicular traffic but pedestrians may walk across the structure.
Maintained By:
Private initiative
World Guide Number:
New Hampshire Number:

bridge             bridge

Historical Remarks:
The bridge was abandoned and closed to traffic in 1939. It was later rebuilt for $20,000. In the 1950s, it was used to store snow fence. In 1966 the bridge and land around it was sold to a private individual. It was repaired by Milton Graton that same year. The owner had a gift and antique shop built inside the bridge. Current owners of the bridge and gift shop are Marc and Mary Ellen Frydman. In 1990 the Frydmans renovated the bridge. The renovation consisted of strengthening the arches, replacing cracked members, and removing one layer of decking. As a result, the dead weight of the bridge decreased 25 tons. The cost of renovation was approximately $38,000. The Bartlett Bridge is eligible for listing on the National Register of Historic Places.

blue line

Previous Page previous page    next pageNext Page

Table of Contents

New Hampshire Bridges

New Hampshire Covered Bridges
Compiled and edited by
Richard G. Marshall
Chief System Planning
New Hampshire Department of Transportation
Color photographs by Arthur F. Rounds