Albany, New Hampshire


Just north of the Kancamagus Highway, six miles west of N.H. Route 16 on Dugway Road in Albany spanning the Swift River.
Style of Bridge:
Paddleford truss with added arches
Year of Construction:
Original Cost:
Structural Characteristics:
The bridge is 120'0" long with a clear span of 100'0". It has an overall width of 21'0" with a roadway width of 15'3", and a maximum vertical clearance of 11'0". It is posted for six tons.
Maintained By:
Town of Albany
World Guide Number:
New Hampshire Number:

bridge             bridge

Historical Remarks:
The first bridge on this site was constructed in 1857 and destroyed by a windstorm in 1858. At that time, Amzi Russell and Leandre Morton entered into an agreement with the town to build a new bridge for $1,300 minus the amount previously paid for the original bridge. The bridge has wide shallow arches and sharply raked facades. The U.S. Forest Service replace the wooden floor timbers with steel in 1981-1982. Near the bridge is a mud sill, taken from the bed of the river by the U.S. Forest Service, which probably supported the falsework or scaffolding during the construction of the span. The Albany Bridge is eligible for listing on the National Register of Historic Places.

blue line

Previous Page previous page    next pageNext Page

Table of Contents

New Hampshire Bridges

New Hampshire Covered Bridges
Compiled and edited by
Richard G. Marshall
Chief System Planning
New Hampshire Department of Transportation
Color photographs by Arthur F. Rounds