Conway, New Hampshire


One-quarter mile north of N.H. Route 16 on N.H. Route 153 in Conway Village. The bridge spans the Saco River.
Style of Bridge:
Paddleford truss with added arches
Year of Construction:
Original Cost:
Structural Characteristics:
The bridge is 224'9" long with clear spans of 103'4" and 95'4". It has an overall width of 30'4" with a roadway width of 18'3" and a minimum vertical clearance of 13'7". It is posted for six tons.
Maintained By:
New Hampshire Department of Transportation
World Guide Number:
New Hampshire Number:

bridge             bridge

Historical Remarks:
In 1850, Jacob Berry and Peter Paddleford built a covered bridge to replace a crudely framed log bridge that had collapsed at this site. The 1850 bridge stood until the Swift River covered bridge crashed into it in 1869. The Saco River covered bridge was rebuilt by Allen and Warren of Conway but it was destroyed again by a tannery fire in 1890. The current bridge was built by Charles Broughton and his son Frank.

blue line

Previous Page previous page    next pageNext Page

Table of Contents

New Hampshire Bridges

New Hampshire Covered Bridges
Compiled and edited by
Richard G. Marshall
Chief System Planning
New Hampshire Department of Transportation
Color photographs by Arthur F. Rounds