Campton, New Hampshire
- East of U.S. Route 3, two miles north of Livermore Falls on Blair Road
in Campton spanning the Pemigewasset River.
- Style of Bridge:
- Long truss with arches
- Year of Construction:
- Original Cost:
- Structural Characteristics:
- The bridge is 292'10" consisting of two clear spans of 139'3" and
131'0". It has an overall width of 20'2", and a maximum vertical
clearance of 13'3". The bridge is posted for three tons.
- Maintained By:
- Town of Campton
- World Guide Number:
- New Hampshire Number:
- Historical Remarks:
The first bridge at this location was built in 1829 at a cost of $1,000.
That bridge was burned down by a man named Lem Parker who
claimed that God told him to do it. Parker was taken to court and
confessed to the charges. However, he was found not guilty
because there were no witnesses. The construction of the current
bridge was brought about when a doctor trying to ford the river on
horseback found the current too strong. The horse drowned, but
the doctor was saved. The town voted to build a bridge immediately.
A sign was posted on the bridge indicating there was a fine
of five dollars for riding or driving on the bridge faster than five
miles per hour. It was rebuilt by Milton Graton and his son Arnold
in 1977 at a cost of $59,379. The town of Campton and the state
shared the cost of the repair. The Blair Bridge is eligible for listing on the National Register of Historic Places.
Table of Contents
New Hampshire Bridges
New Hampshire Covered Bridges
Compiled and edited by
Richard G. Marshall
Chief System Planning
New Hampshire Department of Transportation
Color photographs by Arthur F. Rounds