Lincoln, New Hampshire


East of U.S. Route 3 in Lincoln over the Pemigewasset River at the junction of N.H. Route 175 and U.S. Route 3.
Style of Bridge:
Paddleford truss
Year of Construction:
Original Cost:
Structural Characteristics:
The bridge is 50'0" in length with a clear span of 41'4". it has an overall width of 20'9", a roadway width of 17'6", and a maximum vertical clearance of 11'8". There is a hikers' walkway attached to the north side.
Maintained By:
New Hampshire Department of Resources and Economic Development
World Guide Number:
New Hampshire Number:

bridge             bridge

Historical Remarks:
There has been much discussion about where this bridge was actually built. Some say it was built, used elsewhere, and later moved to this spot where it was needed more than at its previous location. However, many believe it was built for its present location in 1871 when the Lincoln Turnpike Company, created by an act of the Legislature, obtained the right to build the road from the main highway, U.S. Route 3, to a point near the foot of the Flume. It was originally covered with half-inch boards cut in about 30-inch lengths and put on like shingles. These were called shakes and served until a new covering was needed to stop leaks. Modern shingles replaced these shakes in 1951. The bridge is used by buses bringing visitors to the Flume and maintenance vehicles. The Flume Bridge is eligible for listing on the National Register of Historic Places.

blue line

Previous Page previous page    next pageNext Page

Table of Contents

New Hampshire Bridges

New Hampshire Covered Bridges
Compiled and edited by
Richard G. Marshall
Chief System Planning
New Hampshire Department of Transportation
Color photographs by Arthur F. Rounds