Stark, New Hampshire


Northwest of N.H. Route 110 on North Road in Stark Village over the Upper Ammonoosuc River.
Style of Bridge:
Paddleford truss
Year of Construction:
Original Cost:
Structural Characteristics:
The bridge is 134'1" long with two clear spans of 61'5" each. It has an overall width of 29'6" with a roadway width of 16'2", and a maximum vertical clearance of 11'9" in the middle of the portal (7'6" on the sides). It has sidewalks on each side. It is posted for ten tons.
Maintained By:
Town of Stark
World Guide Number:
New Hampshire Number:

bridge             bridge

Historical Remarks:
The bridge was originally a simple Paddleford truss with a center pier. During the 1890s, high water removed the center pier and the bridge was washed downstream. It was brought back by men and oxen and set on new stone piers. Arches were added to strengthen the span and the center pier was removed. The bridge failed again in the 1940s and in 1954 was rehabilitated by removing the arch, adding steel, and building a center pier. During the 1950s, the people of Stark voted to replace the bridge with a new steel bridge. The outcry from artists and covered bridge enthusiasts was so great that instead, with the aid of the state, the covered ridge was restored. The site is scenic and a popular location for photographers. The Stark Bridge was featured on the town of Stark's Bicentennial Medal in 1974. A new roof was built in the summer/fall of 1982 at a cost of $18,750. The state repaired the underside of the bridge in 1983 at a cost of $35,500. The Stark Bridge is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

blue line

Previous Page previous page    next pageNext Page

Table of Contents

New Hampshire Bridges

New Hampshire Covered Bridges
Compiled and edited by
Richard G. Marshall
Chief System Planning
New Hampshire Department of Transportation
Color photographs by Arthur F. Rounds