Pittsburg and Clarksville, New Hampshire
- South of U.S. Route 3, west of Pittsburg Village on Bacon Road
over the Connecticut River connecting the towns of Pittsburg and Clarksville.
- Style of Bridge:
- Paddleford truss with added arches
- Year of Construction:
- Original Cost:
- Structural Characteristics:
- The bridge is 88'6" long with a clear span of 70'0". It has an overall
width of 19'3" with a roadway width of 15'0" and a maximum vertical
clearance of 12'10". The bridge is closed to traffic.
- Maintained By:
- Towns of Pittsburg and Clarksville
- World Guide Number:
- New Hampshire Number:
- Historical Remarks:
Of the remaining covered bridges in New Hampshire, the Pittsburg-Clarksville
Bridge is located the furthest north over the Connecticut River. The actual
date of construction is not known, but there is a reference in town records
that states, "In 1876, money was raised to build a bridge at Fletcher's Mill."
It is assumed, by town officials, that this is the date of the present
bridge. Ebeneezer Fletcher owned a sawmill - built in 1825 - near
this bridge. In 1878, the Town of Clarksville was approached by
Pittsburg officials "....to see what the town would do about
paying the Town of Pittsburg for building two-thirds of the
bridge near the Fletcher Mill. Voted (Clarksville) not to pay the
Town of Pittsburg anything." This structure is one of seven
covered bridges built in Pittsburg and one of three that remain
standing. The bridge is also known as the Bacon Road Bridge.
It was rehabilitated in 1974 at a cost of $6,700. The costs of
rehabilitation were shared by the towns of Pittsburg and
Clarksville and the state. It was closed to traffic in 1981. The
Pittsburg-Clarksville Bridge is eligible for listing on the National Register of Historic Places.
Table of Contents
New Hampshire Bridges
New Hampshire Covered Bridges
Compiled and edited by
Richard G. Marshall
Chief System Planning
New Hampshire Department of Transportation
Color photographs by Arthur F. Rounds