BATH BRIDGE
Bath, New Hampshire

bridge

Location:
West of U.S. Route 302 on Pettyboro Road in Bath over the Ammonoosuc River.
Style of Bridge:
Burr truss with supplemental arches
Year of Construction:
1832
Original Cost:
Approximately $2,900
Structural Characteristics:
The bridge is 374'6" long and is made up of spans of 117'6", 66'6", 62'6", and 80'0". It has an overall width of 24'6", a roadway width of 20'6", and has a maximum vertical clearance of 11'9". It also features an enclosed sidewalk. The bridge is posted as a one lane bridge for six tons, passenger cars only.
Maintained By:
Town of Bath
World Guide Number:
29-05-03
New Hampshire Number:
28

bridge             bridge

Historical Remarks:
The current structure is the fifth bridge to stand on this site. The first was constructed in 1794 at a cost of $366.66. That bridge was demolished by a flood and replaced in 1806 at a cost of $1,000. The second and third bridges were also destroyed by floods but immediately replaced in 1820 and again in 1824. The fourth bridge was destroyed by fire in late 1830. Rebuilding efforts began in March 1831 when $1,400 was allotted to cover the construction of two stone abutments and piers along with the purchase of other materials. In March 1832, an additional $1,500 was allotted to complete the construction. It appears that the fifth bridge was completed by early 1832. When it was first built, the bridge had hewn arches. New overlapping arches were added when the bridge was raised over the railroad in 1920. At one time, there was a sign posted at the bridge which prohibited riding horses across the bridge at a trot. It was believed that the impact of trotting horses could cause the structure to fall apart. The Bath Bridge is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

blue line

Previous Page previous page    next pageNext Page

Table of Contents

New Hampshire Bridges

New Hampshire Covered Bridges
Compiled and edited by
Richard G. Marshall
Chief System Planning
New Hampshire Department of Transportation
Color photographs by Arthur F. Rounds
1994