BATH-HAVERHILL BRIDGE
Bath and Haverhill, New Hampshire

bridge

Location:
One-quarter mile north of U.S. Route 302 in Woodsville Village on N.H. Route 135 over the Ammonoosuc River.
Style of Bridge:
Town lattice truss with arches (two pan) - salt box type
Year of Construction:
1829
Original Cost:
Approximately $2,400 equally divided between the two towns.
Structural Characteristics:
The bridge is 256'3" long and has two spans of 104'0"; and 120'9". It has an overall width of 26'8", a roadway width of 14'2", and a maximum vertical clearance of 10'11". There is a sidewalk on the north side of the structure. The bridge is posted for three tons, passenger cars only.
Maintained By:
Towns of Bath and Haverhill
World Guide Number:
29-05-04
New Hampshire Number:
27

bridge             bridge

Historical Remarks:
According to New Hampshire Department of Transportation records, this is the oldest covered bridge still in use in New Hampshire. It is the first and only bridge to be erected at this site. In March of 1827 the voters of Bath appointed a committee to hold discussions with the selectmen of Haverhill regarding the site of a bridge between the two towns. In September of 1828 the town of Bath set aside $300 to purchase stone and timber for a bridge. In March 1829, Ariel Miner was given the position of superintendent, but upon his request in June of that year he was released from this position and replaced by Moses Abbott and Leonard Walker. The bridge was completed later in the year. In 1973 it was repaired art a cost of $38,710. Ice damaged the structure in the winter 1980 and the bridge was repaired by the state in March of 1981 at a cost of $8,000. Someone unsuccessfully attempted to burn it on the night of September 11, 1983. The Bath-Haverhill Bridge is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

blue line

Previous Page previous page    next pageNext Page

Table of Contents

New Hampshire Bridges

New Hampshire Covered Bridges
Compiled and edited by
Richard G. Marshall
Chief System Planning
New Hampshire Department of Transportation
Color photographs by Arthur F. Rounds
1994