Winchester, New Hampshire
- South of N.H. Route 119 in the Upper Village of Ashuelot on Bolton Road
over the Ashuelot River in the Town of Winchester.
- Style of Bridge:
- Town lattice truss patented by Connecticut architect Ithiel Town
in 1820 and 1835.
- Year of Construction:
- Original Cost:
- Structural Characteristics:
- The bridge is 169'0" long and made up of two spans of 77'0" and
77'3" in length. It has an overall width of 28'6" and has a maximum
vertical clearance of 11'7". There are sidewalks on both sides of the
bridge. The structure is currently posted for six tons.
- Maintained By:
- Town of Winchester
- World Guide Number:
- New Hampshire Number:
- Historical Remarks:
- The Ashuelot covered bridge is considered by local historians
to be one of New Hampshire's most elaborate covered bridges.
The original purpose of the bridge was to transport wood across
the river for use by the Ashuelot Railroad. The railroad had a
station in the village of Ashuelot. This structure has also been
called the Village Bridge or Village Station Bridge. Some
sources credit Nicholas Powers as the builder. The Ashuelot
Bridge is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Table of Contents
New Hampshire Bridges
New Hampshire Covered Bridges
Compiled and edited by
Richard G. Marshall
Chief System Planning
New Hampshire Department of Transportation
Color photographs by Arthur F. Rounds