Langdon, New Hampshire
- North of N.H. Route 123A, two miles north of Alstead Village in Langdon.
- Style of Bridge:
- Town lattice truss with light arches
- Year of Construction:
- Original Cost:
- Structural Characteristics:
- The bridge is 81'0" long with a clear span of 76'0". It has an
overall width of 16'6" with a roadway width of 12'1" and a
maximum vertical clearance of 11'1". It is braced by cables
attached to the new highway bridge which bypassed it in
1964. It is now used for foot traffic only.
- Maintained By:
- Town of Langdon
- World Guide Number:
- New Hampshire Number:
- Historical Remarks:
Three bridges previously stood on this site. They were built in
1790, 1814, and 1840 and were all of the pole and plank type.
The current bridge, built in 1869, was of a type patented by
Sanford Granger in 1833. The patent appears to be a modification
of the Town lattice truss. Sandford Granger owned a sawmill on
Fall Mountain Brook from 1838 until 1851. Virgin timber
removed from the mountain was used in the construction of his
bridges. The current structure was built by his son Albert S.
Granger. In 1961, an estimate of $7,000 was given to the town
for the restoration of the bridge. The town was to pay $2,100 and
the state $4,900. However, the town decided to establish a
sinking fund to pay for building a modern bridge which was
built downstream in 1964 under the Town Bridge Aid Program.
The covered bridge was closed to vehicular traffic and retained
for historic reasons. The structure is also known as the Cold
River Bridge. The McDermott Bridge is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Table of Contents
New Hampshire Bridges
New Hampshire Covered Bridges
Compiled and edited by
Richard G. Marshall
Chief System Planning
New Hampshire Department of Transportation
Color photographs by Arthur F. Rounds