Andover, New Hampshire


At the junction of N.H. Route 11 and NH Route 4A in Andover spanning Pleasant Brook.
Style of Bridge:
Town lattice truss
Year of Construction:
Original Cost:
Structural Characteristics:
The bridge is 53'0" long with a clear span of 47'6". It has an overall width of 15'9" with a roadway width of 12'6" and a maximum vertical clearance of 11'0". The bridge is restricted to pedestrian traffic only.
Maintained By:
Town of Andover
World Guide Number:
New Hampshire Number:

bridge             bridge

Historical Remarks:
The structure was built by a local carpenter by the name of Print Atwood. He was assisted by Al Emerson and Charles Wilson. Local folklore suggests that during construction, Emerson and Wilson became upset and cut some of the timbers short, causing the bridge to tilt. On the other hand, engineers might suggest that the tilt is caused by the very nature of the Town lattice truss design. The bridge was the last covered, and probably the shortest built in Andover. It was bypassed in 1959 and restricted to foot traffic. Located in the Cilleyville section of Andover, it was originally known as Bog Bridge. A Cilleyville Bridge was nearby, spanning the Blackwater river. After it was torn down in 1908, the original Bog Bridge became known as the Cilleyville Bridge. The roof was reshingled in 1962 at a cost of $600. On March 9, 1982 the roof caved in from excessive snow load. The town repaired it in July 1982 for $3,400. The bridge was the model for the Shattuck murals of typical New Hampshire scenes which were once located in the State House in Concord. The Cilleyville Bridge is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

blue line

Previous Page previous page    next pageNext Page

Table of Contents

New Hampshire Bridges

New Hampshire Covered Bridges
Compiled and edited by
Richard G. Marshall
Chief System Planning
New Hampshire Department of Transportation
Color photographs by Arthur F. Rounds