Newport, New Hampshire
- Two miles south of N.H. Route 103 and one-half mile west of
Chandler Station on the Concord and Claremont Railroad line in
Newport spanning the Sugar River.
- Style of Bridge:
- Double Town-Pratt lattice truss with laminated arches
- Year of Construction:
- Original Cost:
- Structural Characteristics:
- The bridge is 123'9" long with a clear span of 121'9".
It has an overall width of 20'6" with a railway width of 14'9" and a
maximum vertical clearance of 21'3". This section of rail line has been abandoned.
- Maintained By:
- New Hampshire Department of Resources and Economic Development
- World Guide Number:
- New Hampshire Number:
- Historical Remarks:
The bridge was built in 1906 by the Bridge and Building Department of the
Boston and Maine Railroad. It replaced a wooden bridge built by the Sugar
River Railroad in 1871 and 1872. The Sugar River line merged with the Concord
and Claremont Railroad in 1873. The Concord and Claremont Railroad was
especially well known for its use of the double Town/Pratt lattice truss. In
1915, there were 15 such bridges on the rail line. The bridge is named for
S.K. Wright who sold the right-of-way to the Sugar River Railroad. The
Wright's Bridge is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Table of Contents
New Hampshire Bridges
New Hampshire Covered Bridges
Compiled and edited by
Richard G. Marshall
Chief System Planning
New Hampshire Department of Transportation
Color photographs by Arthur F. Rounds