FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: March 27, 2014
Shelly Angers, N.H. Department of Cultural Resources
Peter Michaud, N.H. Division of Historical Resources
North Hampton Library named to National Register of Historic Places
The New Hampshire Division of Historical Resources is proud to announce that the North Hampton Library has been honored by the United States Secretary of the Interior with placement on the National Register of Historic Places. The library joins more than 40 libraries and former library buildings in the state that are listed on the National Register of Historic Places, either as individual properties or as part of a historic district.
Part of the trend a century ago to establish more free public libraries, the North Hampton Library was built in 1907 and was the first building in town constructed with the sole purpose of serving as a library. Designed by Boston architect J. Lawrence Berry and constructed by well-known local craftsmen, it is an excellent example of the Tudor Revival style, incorporating fieldstone, stucco, gables, heavy timber brackets and leaded casement windows. A 1955 addition includes many of these elements as well.
A rough granite block in front of the library, installed in 1923, serves as North Hampton’s Honor Roll. Its four bronze plaques list those who served in the Civil War, World War I, World War II and the Korean, Vietnam and Gulf Wars.
Electricity was first installed in the library in 1913 and minor structural modifications were made in 1934 and 1941 to provide better book storage. Interior changes completed when the library was first converted to town offices in the 1970s were respectful to the building’s architectural character. Currently, the building serves as the Town Clerk/Tax Collector offices and is also home to North Hampton’s Heritage Commission.
Administered by the National Park Service, which is part of the U.S. Department of the Interior, the National Register of Historic Places is the nation’s official list of cultural resources worthy of preservation and is part of a national program to coordinate and support public and private efforts to identify, evaluate and protect our historic and archaeological resources.
For more information on the National Register program in New Hampshire, please visit www.nh.gov/nhdhr or contact Peter Michaud at the New Hampshire Division of Historical Resources at 603-271-3483.
New Hampshire’s Division of Historical Resources, the “State Historic Preservation Office,” was established in 1974. The historical, archaeological, architectural and cultural resources of New Hampshire are among its most important environmental assets. Historic preservation promotes the use, understanding and conservation of such resources for the education, inspiration, pleasure and enrichment of New Hampshire’s citizens. For more information, visit www.nh.gov/nhdhr or call 603-271-3483.