FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: May 21, 2014
Shelly Angers, N.H. Department of Cultural Resources
Five properties added to N.H. State Register of Historic Places
The New Hampshire Division of Historical Resources is pleased to announce that the State Historical Resources Council has added five properties to the New Hampshire State Register of Historic Places.
The State Register helps to promote the significance of many historic properties across New Hampshire. Benefits of being listed on the State Register include:
- Acknowledgment of a property’s historical significance in the community;
- Special consideration and relief from some building codes and regulations; and
- Designation of a property as historical, which is a pre-qualification for many grant programs, including Conservation License Plate grants and New Hampshire Land and Community Heritage Investment Program (LCHIP) grants.
The most recent additions to the New Hampshire State Register of Historic Places are:
Epping, John Prescott Chase Farm. Farmed for more than 225 years, this property now operates as a community-supported agriculture farm, or CSA. Its simple Georgian-style farm house has been remodeled to accommodate the owners’ changing needs across generations, making Chase Farm a living model of Epping’s agricultural history from approximately 1785 to the present.
Freedom Town Hall. Built specifically as a town hall in 1889, this Greek Revival building continues to serve that function. In keeping with the New Hampshire tradition of a primary town building serving as a community center as well as the seat of town government, Freedom Town Hall also has a stage and kitchen, making it useful as a center for social activities of all kinds.
Haverhill, Union House Tavern. A locally significant brick building in the tradition of the Upper Connecticut River Valley, the Union House served as a tavern and stagecoach stop for most of the 19th century. Associated with the early settlement of Haverhill, the property has also been a farm for much of its history.
Manchester, Huse House. Constructed circa 1809, the building was purchased by Captain Isaac Huse Jr. in 1844, who updated it from a Federal residence to a Greek Revival-style farm house. A farm for most of its history, the property has also served as a library, post office, store and tavern.
New Boston, Baker Homestead. A building frame was completed on this lot in 1756, and the Baker Homestead currently exists as a Georgian-style house with an attached shed and barn. This adapted structure represents the evolution of farmhouses and farming practices in New Boston across more than two centuries.
Anyone wishing to nominate a property to the New Hampshire State Register of Historic Places must research the history of the nominated property and document it fully on an individual inventory form from the New Hampshire Division of Historical Resources. Having a property listed in the Register does not impose restrictions on property owners. For more information, visit www.nh.gov/nhdhr.
New Hampshire's Division of Historical Resources, the “State Historic Preservation Office,” was established in 1974. The historical, archeological, architectural, engineering and cultural resources of New Hampshire are among the most important environmental assets of the state. Historic preservation promotes the use, understanding and conservation of such resources for the education, inspiration, pleasure and enrichment of New Hampshire’s citizens. For more information, visit us online at www.nh.gov/nhdhr or by calling 603-271-3483.