FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: May 15, 2013
Shelly Angers, N.H. Department of Cultural Resources
Five properties added to N.H. State Register of Historic Places
The New Hampshire Division of Historical Resources is pleased to announce that the State Historical Resources Council has added five properties to the New Hampshire State Register of Historic Places.
The State Register has helped to promote the significance of many historic properties across New Hampshire. Benefits of being listed on the State Register include:
- Special consideration and relief from some building codes and regulations;
- Designation of a property as historical, which is a pre-qualification for many grant programs, including Conservation License Plate grants and New Hampshire Land and Community Heritage Investment Program (LCHIP) grants; and
- Acknowledgment of a property’s historical significance in the community.
The most recent additions to the New Hampshire State Register of Historic Places are:
Durham’s Smith Chapel was built in 1900 as a tribute to philanthropist Hamilton Smith. Modeled after the chapel in England where poet Alfred Lord Tennyson’s father was rector, it is constructed in the English Gothic style with stone buttresses at each corner.
Constructed circa 1823, Hinkson’s Carding Mill played an important part in Grafton’s economy, transforming wool – and possibly flax – into usable fiber for knitting, spinning and weaving.
North Hampton’s Town Library was built in 1907 to house collections for the library, which had been established in 1892. Designed by James Lawrence Berry in the Tudor Revival style, the building was converted to town offices in 1973 and still serves the town in that capacity.
After much discussion about where it should be located, Orford Town Hall was built in 1859. The Greek Revival-style building, with its large hall, balcony and kitchen space, served as the central town building and social space until 1988.
Rye Town Hall was constructed in 1839 as a Methodist church and converted to town hall use in 1874. An intact example of Greek Revival architecture in Rye, its primary significance is as the town’s government hub.
Anyone wishing to nominate a property to the New Hampshire State Register of Historic Places must research the history of the nominated property and document it fully on an inventory form from the New Hampshire Division of Historical Resources. Having a property listed in the Register does not impose restrictions on private property owners. For more information, visit www.nh.gov/nhdhr.
New Hampshire's Division of Historical Resources, the State Historic Preservation Office, was established in 1974. The historical, archaeological, architectural, engineering and cultural resources of New Hampshire are among the most important environmental assets of the state. Historic preservation promotes the use, understanding and conservation of such resources for the education, inspiration, pleasure and enrichment of New Hampshire’s citizens. For more information, visit us online at www.nh.gov/nhdhr or by calling (603) 271-3483.