Official New Hampshire website
trans
Department of Cultural Resources
 
NH Cultural Resources logo NH Division of Historical Resources  
 

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: August 20, 2013

Shelly Angers, N.H. Department of Cultural Resources
(603) 271-3136
shelly.angers@dcr.nh.gov
Twitter: @NHCulture

Mary Kate Ryan, NH Division of Historical Resources
(603) 271-6435
MaryKate.Ryan@dcr.nh.gov

Three properties added to N.H. State Register of Historic Places

The New Hampshire Division of Historical Resources is pleased to announce that the State Historical Resources Council has added three individual properties to the New Hampshire State Register of Historic Places.

The State Register has helped to promote the significance of many historic properties across New Hampshire. Benefits of being listed on the State Register include:

  • Special consideration and relief from some building codes and regulations;
  • Designation of a property as historical, which is a pre-qualification for many grant programs, including Conservation License Plate grants and New Hampshire Land and Community Heritage Investment Program (LCHIP) grants; and
  • Acknowledgment of a property’s historical significance in the community.

The most recent additions to the New Hampshire State Register of Historic Places are:

Located in Franconia, “Sam’s House” is a simple one-room dwelling built by Sam Eli, an immigrant who worked as a logger throughout the mid-20th century. While the architectural features of the building itself are not significant, it provides a physical representation of the lives led by an historically important community in the northern forest: itinerant loggers and woodsmen.

The Masonic Hall in Freedom was constructed in 1830 as a church building. After the congregation found a new home, the local Masonic Temple purchased the building in 1926 and created a two-story space with a meeting hall on the second floor and a community gathering space and kitchen on the ground floor. The building has continued to be a central part of community life since then.

The Colonel Ebenezer Hinsdale House, located in Hinsdale, was built 20 rods from the original Fort Hinsdale in 1759; timbers from the fort were used in the construction of the ell off the kitchen. The location of the house, its outbuildings, gardens, landscaping and setting remain much as they have been for several generations.

Anyone wishing to nominate a property to the New Hampshire State Register of Historic Places must research the history of the nominated property and document it fully on individual inventory forms from the New Hampshire Division of Historical Resources. Having a property listed in the Register does not impose restrictions on private property owners. For more information, visit www.nh.gov/nhdhr.

New Hampshire's Division of Historical Resources, the “State Historic Preservation Office,” was established in 1974. The historical, archeological, architectural, engineering and cultural resources of New Hampshire are among the most important environmental assets of the state. Historic preservation promotes the use, understanding and conservation of such resources for the education, inspiration, pleasure and enrichment of New Hampshire’s citizens. For more information, visit us online at www.nh.gov/nhdhr or by calling (603) 271-3483.

###

 

 

 

 
State of New Hampshire Seal Copyright (c) State of New Hampshire, 2008