FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: November 26, 2012
Shelly Angers, N.H. Department of Cultural Resources
Mary Kate Ryan, N.H. Division of Historical Resources
Six properties added to N.H. State Register of Historic Places
The New Hampshire Division of Historical Resources is pleased to announce that the State Historical Resources Council has added six additional properties to the New Hampshire State Register of Historic Places.
The State Register has helped to promote the significance of many historic properties across New Hampshire. Benefits of being listed on the State Register include:
- Acknowledgment of a property’s historical significance in the community;
- Special consideration and relief from some building codes and regulations; and
- Designation of a property as historical, which is a pre-qualification for many grant programs, including Conservation License Plate grants and New Hampshire Land and Community Heritage Investment Program (LCHIP) grants.
The most recent additions to the New Hampshire State Register of Historic Places are:
Chichester’s Town House, which now serves as the town library, was built on the site of the town’s 18th-century meeting house. Completed in 1847, it has been the seat of town government as well as the library and central meeting place for residents for more than 150 years.
Freedom Village Bandstand, built by 1902 and host to Old Home Day concerts for more than a century, was added to the State Register as part of ongoing work to document the history of Freedom’s Schoolhouse Hill. It has been the center of town events since its construction.
The Grafton Town Library existed simply as a traveling collection of books until this Colonial Revival building was constructed in 1921. Its concrete blocks were created on site, using money-saving volunteer labor. The library is viewed as the town’s way of paying tribute to the importance of learning.
Keene’s Horatio Colony House Museum was constructed in phases: its main building was begun circa 1806, an ell was added circa 1877, a renovation took place in 1898, and additional changes were completed in the 1930s. The building is significant for its architecture, which reflects both its original Federal period of construction as well as its evolution throughout the Victorian era.
Constructed in 1810 as a tavern, the former Red Hill House in Moultonborough was purchased in 1893 by the newly formed Moultonborough Grange #197 to serve as its hall. Renovated from 1903 - 1904, it remains an excellent example of a grange hall, with its large meeting hall and stage, as well as its series of entries leading to the grange meeting spaces.
Nelson’s 1846 Greek Revival Town Hall is the third town hall built in the community and is an outstanding example of frugality and reuse as it incorporates much of the framing from the second town hall. The building sits on the common and embodies not only the history of the town, but also serves as an example of the functional, adaptable structures common to rural small town government in New Hampshire.
Anyone wishing to nominate a property to the New Hampshire State Register of Historic Places must research the history of the nominated property and document it fully on individual inventory forms from the New Hampshire Division of Historical Resources. Having a property listed in the Register does not impose restrictions on private property owners. For more information, visit www.nh.gov/nhdhr.
New Hampshire's Division of Historical Resources, the “State Historic Preservation Office,” was established in 1974. The historical, archaeological, architectural, engineering and cultural resources of New Hampshire are among the most important environmental assets of the state. Historic preservation promotes the use, understanding and conservation of such resources for the education, inspiration, pleasure and enrichment of New Hampshire’s citizens. For more information, visit us online at www.nh.gov/nhdhr or by calling (603) 271-3483.