FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: May 7, 2012
Shelly Angers, N.H. Department of Cultural Resources
Mary Kate Ryan, N.H. Division of Historical Resources
Three properties added to N.H. State Register of Historic Places
The New Hampshire Division of Historical Resources is pleased to announce that the State Historical Resources Council has added three individual properties to the New Hampshire State Register of Historic Places.
The State Register helps to promote the significance of many historic properties across New Hampshire. Benefits of being listed on the State Register include:
- Special consideration and relief from some building codes and regulations;
- Designation of a property as historical, which is a pre-qualification for many grant programs, including Conservation License Plate grants and New Hampshire Land and Community Heritage Investment Program (LCHIP) grants; and
- Acknowledgment of a property’s historical significance in the community.
The following properties are the most recent additions to the New Hampshire State Register of Historic Places:
Exeter’s Winter Street Cemetery was bequeathed to the town in 1738. The 2.9 acre cemetery was the primary burial ground in Exeter from 1743 through 1850 and serves as the final resting place for such prominent New Hampshire citizens as John Ward Gilman, a silversmith who created the state seal, and the Hon. Nicholas Gilman, Esq., who served as the first treasurer of the State of New Hampshire. The cemetery chronicles not only Exeter’s early history but also the evolution of grave marker styles and carvings.
Opened in 1909, the Hills Memorial Library in Hudson was donated to the town by the prominent and philanthropic Hills Family. The building is an excellent example of Tudor Revival architecture and was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1984. While it no longer functions as a library in the traditional sense, Hills Memorial continues to serve as a cultural center and meeting place.
Stratham’s George A. and Emma B. Wiggin Memorial Library was designed by Boston architect C. Howard Walker, who also designed buildings for the 1898 and 1904 World’s Fairs; it was built in 1911 by noted Portsmouth contractor Sidney S. Trueman. The stone building is a turn-of-the-century example of the “eclectic” movement, combining elements of Georgian, gothic, classical revival and shingle styles into a cohesive and elegant building.
Anyone wishing to nominate a property to the New Hampshire State Register of Historic Places must research the history of the nominated property and document it fully on individual inventory forms from the New Hampshire Division of Historical Resources. Having a property listed in the Register does not impose restrictions on private property owners. For more information, visit www.nh.gov/nhdhr.
New Hampshire's Division of Historical Resources, the “State Historic Preservation Office,” was established in 1974. The historical, archeological, architectural, engineering and cultural resources of New Hampshire are among the most important environmental assets of the state. Historic preservation promotes the use, understanding and conservation of such resources for the education, inspiration, pleasure and enrichment of New Hampshire’s citizens. For more information, visit us online at www.nh.gov/nhdhr or by calling (603) 271-3483.