FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: February 7, 2012
Shelly Angers, N.H. Department of Cultural Resources
Mary Kate Ryan, NH Division of Historical Resources
8 properties added to N.H. State Register of Historic Places
The New Hampshire Division of Historical Resources is pleased to announce that the State Historical Resources Council has added eight individual properties to the New Hampshire State Register of Historic Places.
The State Register has helped to promote the significance of many historic properties across New Hampshire. Benefits of being listed on the State Register include:
- Special consideration and relief from some building codes and regulations;
- Designation of a property as historical, which is a pre-qualification for many grant programs, including Conservation License Plate grants and New Hampshire Land and Community Heritage Investment Program (LCHIP) grants; and
- Acknowledgment of a property’s historical significance in the community.
The most recent additions to the New Hampshire State Register of Historic Places are:
The High Street Cemetery in Benton is the last remaining resource that conveys the history of the town’s early High Street area settlement, which was bypassed by most industry and transportation. Stories of the pioneers who settled this remote, rugged area are told by the cemetery’s 46 grave markers, the oldest of which dates to 1812 and the newest to 1877.
Gunstock Mountain Resort in Gilford began in 1935 as the Belknap Mountains Recreation Area; it was the largest Works Progress Administration project in New Hampshire as well as one of the state’s first year-round recreation areas. It featured both ski jumps and a motorcycle rally area, and its construction eased unemployment and created a tourism destination that is still popular today.
Mary Lyon Hall, at the center of the Plymouth State University campus, was built as a dormitory in 1915 by noted New Hampshire architect Chase Roy Whitcher, when the institution was known as Plymouth Normal School. Recently updated, it still serves as both a dormitory and as an important connection between the modern campus and its historic beginnings.
The W.F. Palmer Place in Sandwich, a farm house and barn property that shows the shift from Greek Revival to Gothic Revival architecture, is significant primarily as a farm that also served as a retail outlet. W.F. Palmer ran a feed and grain store that later expanded to a general store, serving the crossroads village of Cram’s Corner in the first half of the 20th century.
Seabrook’s Methodist (or “Smithtown”) Cemetery was in use by 1826 and purchased by the town in 1827. It chronicles the lives of the citizens who created Seabrook, developed it, and were laid to rest there, and includes founders, soldiers, statesmen, craftspeople and members of prominent families.
Three individual properties within the State Register-recognized Enfield Village Historic District have also been added to the State Register: the Francis H. Wells House, the Stickney House and a duplex on Route 4. The Enfield Village Historic District is an excellent example of a Connecticut River Valley village center. Its buildings date from 1800 through the 1970s and include municipal, commercial, religious and residential structures.
Anyone wishing to nominate a property to the New Hampshire State Register of Historic Places must research the history of the nominated property and document it fully on individual inventory forms from the New Hampshire Division of Historical Resources. Having a property listed in the Register does not impose restrictions on private property owners. For more information, visit www.nh.gov/nhdhr.
New Hampshire's Division of Historical Resources, the “State Historic Preservation Office,” was established in 1974. The historical, archeological, architectural, engineering and cultural resources of New Hampshire are among the most important environmental assets of the state. Historic preservation promotes the use, understanding and conservation of such resources for the education, inspiration, pleasure and enrichment of New Hampshire’s citizens. For more information, visit us online at www.nh.gov/nhdhr or by calling (603) 271-3483.