FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: August 8, 2012
Shelly Angers, N.H. Department of Cultural Resources
Six properties added to N.H. State Register of Historic Places
The New Hampshire Division of Historical Resources is pleased to announce that the State Historical Resources Council has added six properties to the New Hampshire State Register of Historic Places.
The State Register has helped to promote the significance of many historic properties across New Hampshire. Benefits of being listed on the State Register include:
- Special consideration and relief from some building codes and regulations;
- Designation of a property as historical, which is a pre-qualification for many grant programs, including Conservation License Plate grants and New Hampshire Land and Community Heritage Investment Program (LCHIP) grants; and
- Acknowledgment of a property’s historical significance in the community.
The most recent additions to the New Hampshire State Register of Historic Places are:
Built in 1901 to house the town’s large road-grading equipment, Freedom’s Roller Shed is an unusual and practical building. The equipment made travel in all seasons more possible for citizens – a boon in the early days of the twentieth century – and the shed provided year-round protection of this important investment. Part of a historic core of town buildings in Freedom village, the shed still serves as storage for the town.
The Langdon Town Hall and Meeting House was first used for town meeting in 1803 and has hosted all 209 town meetings since then. It took the town of Langdon 21 years – from its incorporation in 1787 until 1808 – to site and complete the building, which has also served as church and meeting house for civic affairs.
The Jackson Road Railroad Trestle in Mason was part of the Peterborough and Shirley Railroad line, which contributed to the town’s prosperity in the mid-nineteenth century by opening new markets for agricultural products, denim and granite produced in town. The trestle is the only grade-separated crossing in Mason and was built to be tall enough to allow hay wagons to pass on the road underneath. It is now part of the town’s rail trail.
Three buildings have also been added to the Enfield Village Historic District, which was recognized by the State Register in April 2011: Woodbury House, J.P. Washburn House and the North Enfield Universalist Meeting House, all on Main Street.
Anyone wishing to nominate a property to the New Hampshire State Register of Historic Places must research the history of the nominated property and document it fully on individual inventory forms from the New Hampshire Division of Historical Resources. Having a property listed in the Register does not impose restrictions on private property owners. For more information, visit www.nh.gov/nhdhr.
New Hampshire's Division of Historical Resources, the “State Historic Preservation Office,” was established in 1974. The historical, archeological, architectural, engineering and cultural resources of New Hampshire are among the most important environmental assets of the state. Historic preservation promotes the use, understanding and conservation of such resources for the education, inspiration, pleasure and enrichment of New Hampshire’s citizens. For more information, visit us online at www.nh.gov/nhdhr or by calling (603) 271-3483.