FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: November 21, 2011
Mary Kate Ryan, NH Division of Historical Resources
Shelly Angers, N.H. Department of Cultural Resources
Three properties added to N.H. State Register of Historic Places
The New Hampshire Division of Historical Resources is pleased to announce that the State Historical Resources Council has added three individual properties to the New Hampshire State Register of Historic Places.
The State Register has helped to promote the significance of many historic properties across New Hampshire. Benefits of being listed on the State Register include:
- Special consideration and relief from some building codes and regulations;
- Designation of a property as historical, which is a pre-qualification for many grant programs, including Conservation License Plate grants and New Hampshire Land and Community Heritage Investment Program (LCHIP) grants; and
- Acknowledgment of a property’s historical significance in the community.
The most recent additions to the New Hampshire State Register of Historic Places are:
Portsmouth, Sheafe Warehouse. This warehouse was built circa 1720 using plank construction and was designed to make the loading and unloading of cargo boats, especially Piscataquag gundalows, as efficient as possible. Moved to Prescott Park in 1940, it is the sole survivor of a building type once common on Portsmouth’s waterfront.
Portsmouth, Shaw Warehouse. Built in 1806 and now used as offices, the Shaw Building is one of only three remaining industrial properties in Portsmouth’s former industrial area. It is a rare example of a vernacular warehouse building.
Lee, Glidden House. The building’s original mid-18th century house serves as the back wing to a circa-1820 Greek Revival house of exceptional period detailing. Once the center of a working farm, the property still retains its outbuildings as well as its relationship to Lee’s historic town center, an area now known as Wadleigh Falls.
Anyone wishing to nominate a property to the New Hampshire State Register of Historic Places must research the history of the nominated property and document it fully on individual inventory forms from the New Hampshire Division of Historical Resources. Having a property listed in the Register does not impose restrictions on private property owners. For more information, visit www.nh.gov/nhdhr.
New Hampshire's Division of Historical Resources, the “State Historic Preservation Office,” was established in 1974. The historical, archeological, architectural, engineering and cultural resources of New Hampshire are among the most important environmental assets of the state. Historic preservation promotes the use, understanding and conservation of such resources for the education, inspiration, pleasure and enrichment of New Hampshire’s citizens. For more information, visit us online at www.nh.gov/nhdhr or by calling (603) 271-3483.