FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: May 11, 2011
Shelly Angers, N.H. Department of Cultural Resources
Ten properties, one district added to N.H. State Register of Historic Places
The New Hampshire Division of Historical Resources is pleased to announce that the State Historic Resources Council has added ten individual properties to the New Hampshire State Register of Historic Places and recognized one district.
The State Register has helped to promote the significance of many historic properties across New Hampshire. Benefits of being listed on the State Register include:
- Special consideration and relief from some building codes and regulations;
- Designation of a property as historical, which is a pre-qualification for many grant programs, including Conservation License Plate grants and New Hampshire Land and Community Heritage Investment Program (LCHIP) grants; and
- Acknowledgment of a property’s historical significance in the community.
The most recent additions to the New Hampshire State Register of Historic Places are:
The Enfield Village Historic District is an excellent example of a Connecticut River Valley village center. Its buildings date from 1800 through the 1970s and include municipal, commercial, religious and residential structures. The village was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2010.
The Norman and Marion Perry House in Campton was designed by Hugh Stubbins, Jr. in 1959 and surrounded by a Leon Pearson landscape. With its use of glass to blur the boundary between indoors and out, and its carefully planned open spaces, it represents the residential version of the Modernist architectural movement.
The Rumford House in Franklin was originally constructed circa 1732 in Concord, but was taken apart and moved to Franklin in 1925 by Clyde Brown for use as an antiques shop next door to his tearoom. Together, the buildings showcased “authentic New England” to rail and early automobile tourists.
The Freedom Village Grammar School cost $2000 to build in 1895; it served the town as a two-room schoolhouse until 1983, undergoing only minor changes and upgrades. The building represents 100 years of Freedom’s investment in education.
Ossipee Mountain Grange Hall was built in 1904, when fraternal farming organizations werespreading the progressive farming movement to rural areas. With meeting space for the Patrons of Husbandry and a small store, this Grange Hall served the village as asocial center.
The Goss Farm Barn in Rye is a good example of a circa 1800 English-style barn converted to a Yankee-style barn, a common update to New Hampshire farms. This transformation took place around 1870, likely to accommodate changing agricultural traditions.
Salem Depot, built in 1867, represents the town’s rail center. Once home to the Manchester and Lawrence Railroad and later the Boston and Maine Railroad, it is the only remaining depot in Salem, and one of only three still existing from the Manchester and Lawrence Railroad.
Salem’s District No. 5 Schoolhouse operated as a school from 1873 through 1944; from 1944 through 1961 it functioned as an addition to the District No. 1 school. It has since been moved to the Salem Historical Society’s grounds and restored as a schoolhouse.
The Sandown Depot Railroad Station, built in 1874, was listed in the National Register in 1986 as the best remaining example of a depot on the Nashua and Rochester Railroad, once the busiest single-track line in the United States.
The Lee Webster Place on Mountain Road in Sandwich is likely one of the oldest farm properties in the area known as Cram’s Corner, a rural crossroads village dating to the 1780s. The house and lands illustrate the area’s agricultural character.
Stratford’s Methodist-Episcopal Church, now the Marion Blodgett Museum, was the first church in town in 1853. In 1896, when a more modern building was desired, the frugal townspeople stripped the original building down to its frame, added a bell tower and vestibule, and created the shingle-style building that exists today. It was used as a church through the late 1950s and became property of the Cohos Historical Society in 2001.
Anyone wishing to nominate a property to the New Hampshire State Register of Historic Places must research the history of the nominated property and document it fully on individual inventory forms from the New Hampshire Division of Historical Resources. Having a property listed in the Register does not impose restrictions on private property owners. For more information, visit www.nh.gov/nhdhr.
New Hampshire's Division of Historical Resources, the “State Historic Preservation Office,” was established in 1974. The historical, archeological, architectural, engineering and cultural resources of New Hampshire are among the most important environmental assets of the state. Historic preservation promotes the use, understanding and conservation of such resources for the education, inspiration, pleasure and enrichment of New Hampshire’s citizens. For more information, visit us online at www.nh.gov/nhdhr or by calling (603) 271-3483.