FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: February 10, 2011
Shelly Angers, N.H. Department of Cultural Resources
Mary Kate Ryan, N.H. Division of Historical Resources
Four properties added to New Hampshire State Register of Historic Places
The New Hampshire Division of Historical Resources is pleased to announce that the State Historic Resources Council has added four individual properties to the New Hampshire State Register of Historic Places.
The State Register has helped recognize the significance of many historic properties across New Hampshire. Publicly owned State Register-listed properties may be eligible for Conservation License Plate (“Moose Plate”) funds or other grants for repair and restoration.
The most recent additions to the New Hampshire State Register of Historic Places are:
Alstead’s Shedd-Porter Library. Designed in the Beaux-Arts style, this library celebrated its centennial year in 2010. Architecturally, it remains one of the most notable libraries in the state and, with its copper roof, is a landmark in Alstead. Boston architects McLean & Wright drew on the best craftsmen available to create the building’s granite exterior as well as its plaster and marble interior. It was recently listed in the National Registerof Historic Places.
Bow’s Bow Bog Meeting House. Built by noted local contractor George Washington Wheeler in 1835 for Bow’s Methodist-Episcopal congregation, this large wood-framed, wood-sided meeting house features a center steeple bell tower that still houses the bell donated by Mary Baker Eddy in 1904. The property was restored to its original specifications in 1969-70 by Phillip Baker, a noted early preservationist. Today it is used by the community as a meeting hall.
Gilmanton Iron Works’ Odd Fellows Hall/Old Town Hall. Constructed in 1902-03 for Highland Lodge #33, this all-wood building with a Second Empire tower had space on the second floor for the local Grange. It is one of only two buildings to survive the 1915 fire that gutted the village, and has been in continuous use as a town gathering space and voting station for more than 100 years.
Sandown’s Old Meeting House. This wood-frame, wood-sided building exemplifies late-eighteenth century craftsmanship and is noted for its interior’s fancy “high goblet” pulpit. Originally built by Congregationalists as a meeting house in 1773-74, the Old Meeting House hosted town meetings from 1774-1929 and is now used as a hall for both private and town functions. It was listed in the National Registerof Historic Places in 1978.
Anyone wishing to nominate a property to the New Hampshire State Register of Historic Places must research the history of the nominated property and document it fully on individual inventory forms from the New Hampshire Division of Historical Resources. Having a property listed in the Register does not impose restrictions on private property owners. For more information, visit www.nh.gov/nhdhr.
New Hampshire's Division of Historical Resources, the “State Historic Preservation Office,” was established in 1974. The historical, archeological, architectural, engineering and cultural resources of New Hampshire are among the most important environmental assets of the state. Historic preservation promotes the use, understanding and conservation of such resources for the education, inspiration, pleasure and enrichment of New Hampshire’s citizens. For more information, visit us online at www.nh.gov/nhdhr or by calling (603) 271-3483.