FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: July 12, 2010
Shelly Angers, N.H. Department of Cultural Resources
Two N.H. properties and two districts listed on the National Register
The New Hampshire Division of Historical Resources is proud to announce that the Pulpit Rock Base End Station in Rye, the Newington Railroad Depot in Newington, and the historic villages of Enfield and Bennington have been honored by the United States Secretary of the Interior with placement on the National Register of Historic Places.
Administered by the National Park Service, which is part of the U.S. Department of the Interior, the National Register of Historic Places is the nation’s official list of cultural resources worthy of preservation and is part of a national program to coordinate and support public and private efforts to identify, evaluate and protect our historic and archeological resources.
Pulpit Rock Base End Station is marked by an eight-story silo-like structure that rises sharply above the tree line over Route 1A and the rocky New Hampshire coast in Rye. Built in 1943, the tower was used to triangulate the guns at nearby Fort Dearborn (now Odiorne Point State Park). It is one of several coastal structures built to strengthen the defense around Portsmouth Harbor and the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard during World War II. The tower is occasionally opened to the public by the Friends of Pulpit Rock.
The Newington Depot sits near the shores of Great Bay and the Piscataqua River on Bloody Point in Newington. Built in 1873 to serve as a passenger station and toll house for the then newly constructed Dover and Portsmouth Railroad, it is a well-preserved example of a now-rare depot type that was designed to serve as both passenger station and a residence for the stationmaster. A bridge, built by the railroad to serve both trains and vehicular traffic—with the stationmaster also serving as bridge toll collector—sat adjacent to the depot until 1934.
The Enfield Village Historic District is an excellent example of a well-preserved vernacular village center in New Hampshire’s Connecticut River Valley that shows the evolution of the town’s industrial and business center throughout the 19th and early-20th centuries. Settled in the last quarter of the 18th century, Enfield grew and prospered with the development of mills that took advantage of the natural waterpower and the arrival of the railroad in1847. Enfield’s development was influenced not only by local investors and entrepreneurs but also by the Shakers who lived in their own village across the lake and did business in the village.
Originally situated on the edges of two separate towns in New Hampshire’s Monadnock region, the village of Bennington developed as a cohesive village center that was incorporated as a town in the 1840s. Once the home to several mills and factories that produced cotton, cutlery and other products, the village boasts an active industrial center, and includes the operating Monadnock Paper Mills, Inc., considered to be the oldest continually operating paper mill in America.
These buildings, structures and village centers join a growing list of significant New Hampshire buildings, districts, sites, structures and objects that are important in defining the state’s history and character and that have been designated to the National Register for Historic Places.
For more information on the National Register program in New Hampshire, please visit www.nh.gov/nhdhr or contact Peter Michaud at the New Hampshire Division of Historical Resources at (603) 271-3483.
New Hampshire’s Division of Historical Resources, the “State Historic Preservation Office,” was established in 1974. The historical, archaeological, architectural and cultural resources of New Hampshire are among its most important environmental assets. Historic preservation promotes the use, understanding and conservation of such resources for the education, inspiration, pleasure and enrichment of New Hampshire’s citizens. For more information, visit www.nh.gov/nhdhr or call 603-271-3483.