FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: November 10, 2010
Mary Kate Ryan, NH Division of Historical Resources
Shelly Angers, N.H. Department of Cultural Resources
Nine properties added to New Hampshire State Register of Historic Places
The New Hampshire Division of Historical Resources is pleased to announce that the State Historic Resources Council has added nine individual properties to the New Hampshire State Register of Historic Places.
The State Register has helped recognize the significance of many historic properties across New Hampshire. Publicly owned State Register-listed properties may be eligible for Conservation License Plate (“Moose Plate”) funds or other grants for repair and restoration.
The most recent additions to the New Hampshire State Register of Historic Places are:
Kinsman Cemetery, Easton. Donated to the town in 1798 by Nathan Kinsman, one of the town’s first citizens whose wife was already buried on the site, it is likely the first public cemetery in Easton.
District 5 School/East Grafton Town Hall, Grafton. Built in 1900 for $756.33, this multi-use building served the community for 60 years with minimal changes; today it still functions as the Town Hall.
District 13 School, Grafton. The best preserved of 11 remaining schoolhouses in Grafton, it shows the impact of state school requirements as well as the wealth and growth of Grafton Village.
East Grafton Union Church, Grafton. A 1785 meeting house that was moved and renovated in the 19th century, it is an excellent example of shingle-style architecture.
Hampton Beach Fire Station, Hampton. Built in 1923, this still-active fire station is the only building associated with the Hampton Beach Precinct, which formed in 1907 to provide municipal services to the beach-end community in Hampton.
Glidden-Towle-Edgerly House, Lee. Built circa 1749 (the current back ell) with a large, stately addition (now the main house) in 1828, this building’s legacy includes ownership by three families who were all connected with the mill industries in Wadleigh Falls.
Weare Free Library, Weare. Originally known as the Paige Memorial Library, this building is named after the library trustee who bequeathed the money for its construction in 1926.
Westmoreland Town Hall, Westmoreland. This building has served as the center of town gatherings, both civic and social, since its construction by local man Kirke Wheeler in 1916-17.
Jonathan Livermore House, Wilton. This architecturally significant Georgian house was built circa 1770 for the town’s first minister, who was also given 240 acres, an annual salary and an allotment of firewood.
Anyone wishing to nominate a property to the New Hampshire State Register of Historic Places must research the history of the nominated property and document it fully on individual inventory forms from the New Hampshire Division of Historical Resources. Having a property listed in the Register does not impose restrictions on property owners. For more information, visit www.nh.gov/nhdhr.
New Hampshire's Division of Historical Resources, the “State Historic Preservation Office,” was established in 1974. The historical, archeological, architectural, engineering and cultural resources of New Hampshire are among the most important environmental assets of the state. Historic preservation promotes the use, understanding and conservation of such resources for the education, inspiration, pleasure and enrichment of New Hampshire’s citizens. For more information, visit us online at www.nh.gov/nhdhr or by calling (603) 271-3483.