(Meeting Minutes: January 7th, 2011)
(2:30pm-Brown Building Auditorium-Concord, NH)
Elizabeth Charlebois (EC)
Georgia Edwards (GE)
Peggy Fullerton (PF)
Steven Fullerton (SF)
Herbert Monroe (HM)
Peter Newell (PN)
Darryl Peasley (DP)
Paul Pouliot (PP)
Robert Sulesky (RS)
Kent Whitman (KW)
Tai Freligh (TF)
Lynn Martin (LM)
Sherry Gould (SG)
Molly Springer (MS)
Robert Goodby (RG)
Daniel Reidy (DR)
- Meeting called to order by Tai Freligh and Lynn Martin at 2:30pm.
- Facilitator Dan Reidy introduced and recognized as person running the meeting.
- DR distributes copy of meeting agenda to the Commission.
- Brief introductions by all Commission members present.
- “Suggested Duties of Elected Officers” distributed and reviewed.
- Brief discussion of the Division of Cultural Resources website and what resources are available for posting of NHCNAA materials.
- Commission decides by majority consensus to elect a Vice-Chair.
- Nominations solicited for Chair. Peter Newell put forth. PN accepts nomination.
- Nominations solicited for Vice-Chair. Robert Sulesky put forth. RS declines. Sherry Gould put forth. SG accepts nomination.
- Nominations solicited for Secretary. Tai Freligh put forth. TF accepts nomination.
- Nominations solicited for Treasurer. Paul Pouliot put forth. PP accepts nomination. Herbert Monroe also put forth. HM also accepts nomination.
- Motion to close nominations. Seconded.
- Ballot vote for Treasurer. HM elected.
- Unanimous vote to accept Peter Newell as Chair.
- Unanimous vote to accept Sherry Gould as Vice-Chair.
- Unanimous vote to accept Tai Freligh as Secretary.
- Discussion of length of Commission terms. Public comment from Rep. Dan Carr clarifying this per the legislation. Carr was the primary sponsor of HB1610.
- Vermont Commission on Native American Affairs Rules of Order distributed as a suggested point of reference for rules of order and decorum.
- Discussion of Rules of Order.
- PN recognized by Commission. Question raised as to the formation of “sub-committees” and an “Advisory Council of Elders”. Definition of “sub-committee” asked. Item was tabled and added to list of questions for the Attorney General’s Office.
- List of questions to be sent to PN for the AG’s Office.
- SG motioned for the Chair, Vice-Chair, Secretary and Treasurer to be formed into an Executive Committee in order to draft proposed Rules of Order and other documents pertaining to the execution of the duties of the Commission and present them for discussion and possible voting at the next NHCNAA meeting. Seconded. Discussion. Passes by majority vote.
- Executive Committee agrees to publicly meet in advance of the next meeting of the full Commission to draft suggested Rules of Order and Rules of Decorum.
- KW motioned for a single point of contact for the AG’s Office within the Commission and not necessarily the Chair. Seconded. Discussion. Vote taken by hand count. Motion fails.
- LM recognized by Commission. Question raised as to whether or not by-laws are required for the Commission. Item was tabled and added to list of questions for the Attorney General’s Office.
- DP motioned for one of the elected officers to be the point person for the AG’s Office. Seconded. Discussion. Dissenting opinion by PP. Motion withdrawn.
- DP motioned that the Chair be the point of contact for the AG’s Office. Second. Discussion. Vote taken by hand count. Motion passes.
- Commission unanimously agrees to make email information for individual Commission members available to all Commission members.
- Next meeting of the Commission set for one month out.
- SF suggests location of school in Laconia.
- February 15th from 2:30-4:30pm decided as date of next meeting.
- SF to provide more detailed meeting location information before next meeting.
- Public meeting notice to be posted to the DCR website once location is finalized.
- Motion to adjourn. Seconded.
- Meeting adjourned at 4:15pm.
Minutes submitted by Secretary, Tai Freligh.