||Arts Education Program
New Hampshire Poetry Out Loud Program 2016-2017
Congratulations to all NH Poetry Out Loud Competitors and to NH State Champion Charlotte Perkins of Kearsarge Regional High School in North Sutton (right) and NH Alternate Laila Ruffin of Concord High School (left)!
- View photos from all 4 Semi-Finals and State Championships on flickr.
- Visit our youtube channel and watch recitations from every student at the State Finals.
- Watch a highlight video from the state finals on why students love POL.
Photos by Cheryl Senter
Welcome to the 12th year of New Hampshire's Poetry Out Loud competition, which celebrates the diverse voices of our high school students. Poetry Out Loud aligns with Common Core standards for reading and language, in addition to the NCTE English Language Arts Standards. Last year close to 10,000 NH students participated!
Year after year, students, parents and educators tell us that the most important aspect of the Poetry Out Loud program is the recognition and introduction to poetry. To be identified as a talented reciter and presenter of great poetry is an experience that changes lives, broadens ideas about the future, bolsters confidence and provides a wonderful sense of accomplishments. To be invited to present and recite poetry at the NH State House, Representatives’ Hall is an honor and memory of a lifetime.
Contact your local high school or the Poetry Out Loud coordinator listed below for information on how to join the program. We welcome participation from home school groups.
Contact NH POL Coordinator:
Julianne Gadoury, Arts Education Coordinator, NH State Council on the Arts
Important Dates for 2016-2017 New Hampshire Poetry Out Loud: PDF for printing
- October 23, 2016: Registration Deadline
- October 2016 - February 2017: New Hampshire Poetry Out Loud curriculum and competitions
- November 3, 2016: Teacher Orientation, 4-6pm, New Hampshire Institute of Art, Manchester
- November 7, 2016: Teacher Orientation, 4-6pm, Museum of the White Mountains, Plymouth
- January 7, 2017: Student Poetry Clinic, 1-4pm, New Hampshire Institute of Art, free and open to all students in NH
- February 3, 2017: Deadline to hold school competitions.
- February 2017: Judges' Orientation
- February 2017: Regional Semi-Finals Competitions - PDF for printing
- 2/13 Southern: 6pm Southern New Hampshire University, Manchester
- 2/16 Northern: 6pm Jean's Playhouse, Lincoln
- 2/21 Western: 6pm New England College, Henniker
- 2/23 Eastern: 6pm Rochester Opera House, Rochester
- March 10, 2017: NH State Finals Championship, NH State House, Concord
- March 13, 2017: Snow Date for NH State Finals Championship, NH State House, Concord
- April 24-26, 2017: Poetry Out Loud National Championship in Washington, DC.
Did you participate in POL this year? Please help us strengthen the program
- POL Teacher Survey: Provide us with insights on your experience and ideas for future years. If you are a school coordinator, please share this survey link with every teacher who participated this year.
- Student Survey
April 18, 2017