||Arts in Education Program
New Hampshire Poetry Out Loud Program 2014-2015
Congratulations to all NH Poetry Out Loud Competitors and to NH State Champion Dessaline Etienne, Goffstown High School (right), and to NH Alternate Nora Doyle, Plymouth Regional High School (left)
Photo by Allegra Boverman
Welcome to the 10th Anniversary Year of New Hampshire's Poetry Out Loud competition, which celebrates the diverse voices of our high school students. Poetry Out Loud aligns with Common Core standards for reading and language, in addition to the NCTE English Language Arts Standards. Last year close to 10,000 NH students participated! The program becomes more popular every year, and to stay within our resources, we are limiting particpation to the first 40 schools who sign up.
Year after year, students, parents and educators tell us that the most important aspect of the Poetry Out Loud program is the recognition and introduction to poetry. To be identified as a talented reciter and presenter of great poetry is an experience that changes lives, broadens ideas about the future, bolsters confidence and provides a wonderful sense of accomplishments. To be invited to present and recite poetry at the NH State House, Representatives’ Hall is an honor and memory of a lifetime.
Contact your local high school or the Poetry Out Loud coordinators listed below for information on how to join the program. We welcome participation from home school groups.
Contact NH POL Coordinators:
Alexandra Urbanowski and Caitlin Delaney, 2015 Poetry Out Loud Coordinators
[email protected] | call 603-512-9710.
Catherine O’Brian, Arts in Education Coordinator & Poetry Out Loud Project Director, NH State Council on the Arts
[email protected], 603-271-0795.
Register your school before November 1, 2014. Priority will be given to schools that participated last year (up until September 8th) but there are also open slots for new schools. These will be given on a first come, first serve basis.
- Letter to Schools about 2015 Poetry Out Loud program: PDF
- Media release for students: MS Word
Important Dates for 2014-2015 New Hampshire Poetry Out Loud:
- November 1, 2014: Registration Deadline
- October, 2014 - February, 2015: New Hampshire Poetry Out Loud 2013-2014 curriculum and competitions
- February 4, 2015 - Judges Orientation at PSU Grad Offices at 5:30pm
- February 10, 2015 - Judges Orientation at NH Institute for Art at 5:30pm
- February 12, 2015 : Deadline for completing School Championships
- February 8, 2015: Celebration and Clinic for all student champions & alternates
- February 12, 2015: Deadline for submitting school champion/alternate champions’ semi finals information forms
- March 2-11, 2015: Regional Semi-Finals Competitions
- March 2, 2015, 6pm: Semi-final at Jean’s Playhouse in Lincoln (snow date: 3/6/15) - Poster
- March 3, 2015, 6:30pm - Postponed due to weather; moved to Snow date March 4th: Semi-final at NH Institute of Art in Manchester (snow date: 3/4/15) - Poster
- March 5, 2015, 6:30pm: Semi-final at Southern New Hampshire University in Manchester (snow date: 3/6/15) - Poster
- March 9, 2015, 6:30pm: Semi-final at New England College in Henniker (snow date: 3/11/15) - Poster
- March 13, 2015: NH State Finals Championship, Statehouse, Concord, 5:30pm
- March 16, 2015: Snow date NH State Finals Championship, Statehouse, Concord, 5:30pm
- March 19, 2015: Deadline for submitting names of NH POL State Champion & Alternate
- April 28-29, 2015: Poetry Out Loud National Championship in Washington, DC
For New Hampshire Schools and Teachers:
March 16, 2015