Arts Education Program
New Hampshire Poetry Out Loud Program 2011-2012
Congratulations to all NH Poetry Out Loud Competitors and to our NH Champion Bria Frehner of ConVal Regional High School, Peterborough
and Alternate Champion Trevor Murray of Kingswood Regional High School, Wolfeboro
VIDEO OF NH POETRY OUT LOUD FINALS COMPETITION NOW AVAILABLE
An edited film version of the NH Poetry Out Loud 2012 Finals Competition has been broadcast by Wolfeboro Community TV25 and is available online at: http://wctv.ezstream.com/play/index.cfm?fuseaction=embstay&id=2B1B42B4AF&dsplvl=brd. (You may purchase a DVD of the state finals by sending an email to: [email protected] .) Special thanks to Wolfeboro Community TV and Peter Pijoan, the station’s manager for taking the time to film and edit our NH POL State Finals this year.
IF YOU’D LIKE TO WATCH THE POETRY OUT LOUD NATIONAL COMPETITIONS
and cheer for Bria Frehner, New Hampshire’s Poetry Out Loud (POL) Champion (from Con Val Regional High School) the National Endowment for the Arts (NEA) will webcast live (both semis and finals) on May 15, 2012 at the POL National Finals in Washington DC. Check the NEA website www.nea.org for more details. Both the semifinals and the finals can be viewed remotely through a one-time-only live webcast. Follow Poetry Out Loud on Twitter at @PoetryOutLoud and @NEAarts, hash tag #POLnews.
Welcome to the seventh year of the Poetry Out Loud competition in New Hampshire. New Hampshire is one of 56 states and U.S. jurisdictions participating in this national program.
The goal of the national Poetry Out Loud competition and its accompanying curriculum is to encourage the nation's youth to learn about great poetry through memorization and performance. The program helps students master public speaking skills, build self-confidence and learn about their literary heritage. Poetry Out Loud is funded by the National Endowment for the Arts and the Poetry Foundation.
This year, 37 New Hampshire high schools are competing, representing all regions of the state!
For Schools and Teachers:
- Basic Information Packet: PDF only
- Student Information Form: MSWord / PDF Due from participating schools March 5, 2012
- Student Media Release Form: MSWord / PDF
- Sample Media Advisory - for use by official New Hampshire Poetry Out Loud high school competitions: MSWord / PDF
- Ineligible Poems: Only poems in the Poetry Out Loud print or online anthologies are eligible for competition. Due to copyright issues and the need to periodically refresh the Poetry Out Loud anthology, some poems have been retired. Click on the link to find the list of poems that have been removed from the anthologies and are not eligible for the 2011-2012 competition season.
Important Dates for 2011-2012 New Hampshire Poetry Out Loud:
- March 5, 2012 – Deadline for individual high school competitions to be completed
- March 5, 2012 – Deadline for submitting results of high school competitions (Champions & Alternates) to NH Poetry Out Loud Coordinator. Download the Student Information Form above on this webpage.
- March 9-23, 2012 – Semi-final Competitions (four)
- March 26, 2012 – New Hampshire Statewide Final Competition at the NH State House, Concord, 7pm
- March 27, 2012 – Snow Date for Statewide Final Competition
- April 5, 2012 – Deadline for submitting results of New Hampshire Statewide Final Competition (New Hampshire State Champion & Alternate) to National Poetry Out Loud
- May 13 -15, 2012 – National Poetry Out Loud Championship in Washington, D.C.
For more information contact:
Poetry Out Loud builds on the current resurgence of the spoken word as an art form, inviting the dynamic aspects of slam poetry, spoken word, and theater into the classroom. To learn more about Poetry Out Loud and New Hampshire's participation in the program over the years, click here.
PHOTOS above by Wendy Cahill from Statewide Final Competition - left to right:
Champion Bria Frehner, from Conval Regional High School in Peterborough, will represent NH in Washington, D.C. May 13-15 at the national Poetry Out Loud competition.
(c) Dr. Roger Brooks, Chair, NH State Council on the Arts welcomes students and audience members at the NH Poetry Out Loud statewide competition, held in the State House, Representatives Hall, March 26, 2012.
(r) Trevor Murray of Kingswood Regional High School in Wolfeboro was selected as the Alternate NH Poetry Out Loud Champion.
Don't have Adobe Acrobat Reader®? Click here to download for free!