To see E-Opps CLICK HERE, to see E-Clips CLICK HERE.
From the Director: Hard Times Mean Hard Choices
In my last update, I outlined the changes that are taking place at the Arts Council due to budget cuts. As I noted, the primary impact of these cuts, thanks to one-time temporary funding from the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act and the state legislature’s targeted increase in the grants line item of our appropriation, is not on the total grant amounts, but on staff positions. Because of this, staff and the Arts Councilors have had to evaluate what the agency reasonably can provide over the coming year. Like many of you in these hard economic times, we have to cut back. Thus, we have made some hard choices in the form of suspending certain labor-intensive activities and the variety of grants we offer. The Arts Council will evaluate these decisions as the year progresses, and look for new ways to meet the ongoing goals we have to support and promote the arts in New Hampshire.
Effective with this notice, we will be suspending the following for FY2010:
- Services & Promotional Activities:
- Governors Arts Awards
- Traditional Arts Event/Exhibition to celebrate 15th anniversary of the apprenticeship program
- October Grant Workshops (an online PowerPoint presentation will be made available)
- Bi-weekly e-clips (e-opps will continue)
- New applications to the Arts Education, Community Arts, Arts in Healthcare, and Traditional Arts rosters.
- Cultural Facilities Grants
- Organizational Support Project Grants
- Community Arts Project Grants
- Creative Communities Program (with some of its grants and services being outsourced or reassigned to other programs)
We appreciate all the support you have shown us during this difficult time for the Arts Council. Over the next two years, the remaining staff will continue to work toward fulfilling the Arts Council’s mission and prepare for better times ahead. In the meantime, I encourage you to take advantage of ongoing grant programs and services. As always, the staff is available to answer your questions.
Rebecca L. Lawrence, Director through September 30th
September 3, 2009