Official NH Government Website
logo NH Film Office


Department of Cultural Resources

Production Guide >> Permitting Information

GENERAL FILMING PERMITS: There are no general permits for filming in the State of New Hampshire.

FILMING ON STATE PROPERTY: The State of New Hampshire Film & Television Office assists with coordinating filming permits for locations managed by the State of New Hampshire, such as parks, beaches, highways, and state facilities. An Application to Film on State Property is required when filming on state property.

FILMING IN LOCAL TOWNS/CITIES: Permitting on public land at the local level is done directly through the municipality in which you are looking to film. Every city/town handles filming requests differently and we encourage you to contact us to find out which local department or administrator would be the best contact for permit inquries.

FILMING IN WHITE MOUNTAIN NATIONAL FOREST: Filmmakers looking to shoot their projects on Mount Washington are encouraged to contact the New Hampshire Film & Television Office for further information. Here are some guidelines to consider:

  1. The summit of Mount Washington and the surrounding 59 acres of land are part of Mount Washington State Park and is managed by the New Hampshire Division of Parks and Recreation. Permitting for this area is done through the New Hampshire Film & Television Office. Call us at 603-271-2220 to get the process started, or your can submit an Application to Film on State Property.

  2. Any filming on the land beyond Mount Washington State Park, within the White Mountain National Forest, falls under the federal jurisdiction of the White Mountain National Forest and the USDA Forest Service. Guidelines and filming permit applications can be found at

  3. The Mount Washington Auto Road provides access to the summit and several overlook points along the way. The Auto Road is open to private vehicles from early May to late October (please call ahead to confirm.) Access to the mountain is also available via an all-wheel drive, 4-track, 9-passenger SnowCoach (weather permitting). The Mount Washington Auto Road is privately owned and operated, and filmmakers looking to shoot on the Auto Road or access the Auto Road during the winter months will need to work with the operators directly. Contact the Mount Washington Auto Road at 603-466-3988. NOTE: This applies to the Auto Road only--any filming on land beyond the Auto Road will still need to be coordinated through the New Hampshire Film & Television Office or the White Mountain National Forest.

If you have any questions or need additional information, please contact our office at 603-271-2220 or

seal © 2012 State of New Hampshire