Welcome to The New Hampshire Rural Transit Assistance Program Web site!
This site is administered by the New Hampshire Department of Transportation, Bureau of Rail & Transit.
The Rural Transit Assistance Program was established to provide training, technical assistance and support to rural transit providers throughout New Hampshire.
The Objectives of the New Hampshire Rural Transit Assistance Program are:
- to promote the safe and effective operation of public transit systems while efficiently utilizing public and private resources Check mark
- developing state and local relationships to address the training and technical needs of the rural transit community Check mark
- to continually improve the quality and availability of resources and technical assistance to rural transit systems Check mark
- to encourage individual local transit operators to work together in solving mutual issues Check mark
- to support the coordination of public, private and human service transit providers within a region
Section 5311(b)(2) of the Federal Transit Act authorizes the Secretary "to make grants and contracts for transportation research, technical assistance, training and related support services in nonurbanized areas". The Rural Transit Assistance Program (RTAP) provides a source of funding to assist in the design and implementation of training and technical assistance projects and other support services tailored to meet the specific needs of transit operators in nonurbanized areas.