Welcome to the Bureau of Rail and Transit!
The Bureau of Rail and Transit manages state-owned railroad properties, provides rail safety inspections, and manages public transportation, bicycle and pedestrian transportation, and ridesharing programs.
Michelle "Shelley" Winters
Administrator, Rail and Transit
The Bureau of Rail & Transit is comprised of the following three sections. Please click on a link below for section-specific info:
2015 Mountain Division and Conway Branch Request for Proposals (RFP)
- Request for Proposals (RFP)
- Sample NHDOT draft railroad operating agreement subject to customization and final negotiations
- NHDOT Bureau of Rail & Transit's Notification Requirement for Incidents Involving Railroads
- Conway Branch Railroad Line Feasibility Study (dated June 30, 2004)
- State of NH's deed for Conway Branch (includes Boston & Maine Corporation's perpetual exclusive freight rail transportation easement)
- Map of Mountain Division Railroad Line & Conway Branch Railroad Line
- Summary RFP Timeline
2015 Class III and Cog Railroad Revolving Loan Funds
- Notification of 2015 project solicitation
- Background info & application guidelines
- Application Document
- NH RSA 228:66-a
The NH Capitol Corridor project website is temporarily unavailable, but the Final Report is still available.
- The project will include an study of potential rail and bus transit investments in the NH Capitol corridor, which connects the major population centers of New Hampshire to metropolitan Boston, and the development of a service development plan and related documents for intercity passenger rail between Boston, MA and Concord, NH. This study will be taking a mutlimodal, systems-wide approach in the development of the alternatives that will be considered.
Find information on the Plaistow Commuter Rail Extension Study
Railroads: The railroad programs include track inspection and safety investigation in cooperation with the Federal Railroad Administration, a revolving loan program for railroads, a dedicated railroad fund for improvements to state-owned rail lines, and acquisition and preservation of railroad corridors for future use. The Department completed work on a new State Rail Plan in June 2012. Information on public meetings held for the Rail Plan can also be found on the website for the New Hampshire State Rail Plan.
Other current projects include replacement of ties and drainage improvements on the state-owned rail lines. The New Hampshire Department of Transportation is working closely with The New Hampshire Rail Transit Authority on expanding passenger rail service in New Hampshire.
Public Transportation: The public transportation program includes federal grants for transit operations, capital improvements, planning, technical assistance and training.
- FTA GRANT & FUNDING INFO for State of NH Fiscal Year 2016 (including applications & other pertinent documents for SFY16 and prior years)
- List of Transit Services in NH w/ contact info & map
Bicycle and Pedestrian: This program assists individuals, communities and groups to improve opportunities for non-motorized travel.
State Bicycle Maps are available.
Bureau Projects: Information on recent & noteworthy projects